Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Image in playback window resizes

Feb 8, 2013 12:31 AM

Tags: #playback #resize #dslr #premier_pro

Hi

Ive loaded half a dozen good quality dslr images into a sequence (using the drag/drop to new sequence method to ensure appropriate sequence format) and they look fine until I add transitions then render and save when they resize pop in by about 15% (squeeze in at sides only). This resizing which leaves black borders on the sides can be adjusted back by grabbing the image edge handle and tweeking by a nats at which time it pops back to normal until i save etc etc

whats going on??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to Leofwyne

Can you give us the full details of your Sequence Settings, and also the dimensions of the Still Images?

Is Scale to Frame Size checked?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Leofwyne

Besides what Bill said, why are you having to render? And what are you going to do with a frame size that big?

I tried what you said you were doing and it didn't misbehave at all. So you probably need to provide a lot more information about your settings and your workflow for us to try and recreate the issue.

What graphics card do you have in your computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to Leofwyne

Hmmm. OK.

I think that if I were to edit stuff like that I would probably choose a 720p setting (1280X720) like the one for the video out of the camera. The easy way, of course, is to take some 720p video and then create your sequence using that video clip. Use 24p or 25p or 30p depending on what you want to do and where you live. Using 24p generally works pretty nicely for images.

Then adjust the sizes of the photos as required. Avoid "Scale to Frame Size". Use the scale parameter of the Motion effect instead. That way you can pan around the photo if you wish.

I shoot photos that exceeld the 1920X1080 frame size of full HD so I use that as a sequence size. But yours is less than that, so 720p makes the most sense to me.

Perhaps if you used a standard seting like that, the problem might not appear?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to Leofwyne

If you playback from the timeline is normal, then you do not have to render.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

Hmmm. OK.

I think that if I were to edit stuff like that I would probably choose a 720p setting (1280X720) like the one for the video out of the camera. The easy way, of course, is to take some 720p video and then create your sequence using that video clip. Use 24p or 25p or 30p depending on what you want to do and where you live. Using 24p generally works pretty nicely for images.

Yes, since you're editing still images, the above advice is very good. You do not want to drag and drop the stills to the New Item button for a good workflow, use a preset as was suggested by Steven.

• Rendering might be necessary for previewing an effect in real time.
    • Rendering might be the thing to do when you want to preview some kinds of high quality footage in real time at full quality.

If you don't need to do these things, it is not necessary to render while you work.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 9:52 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

OK, I have good news and I have bad news.

I have been able to recreate the problem on my system.

The good news is that it is nothing to worry about for most people. If you add effects and you have to render to get real time playback, it does squish the images leaving a black border. However, it doesn't export that way as far as I can tell, even if you tell it to use the render files, which I never, ever do, for any of my videos. If you create titles or masks that require exact dimensions, it appears that you can use the squished image and it will expand as required upon export. That requires further testing by someone who needs to edit this way. I don't.

If you delete the render files, the images go back to normal. So you could generate your masks and titles that way and then just render again.

The bad news is that it does appear to be a bug that needs to be fixed because it will certainly confuse any clients looking over your shoulder. If you render the entire work area, thinking that since you didn't add any effects to most of it there should not be a problem, think again. You don't need to add effects for the problem to appear.

So, it is off to put in a bug report.  https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

However, something tells me that if this is not an easy fix, it might end up on the bottom of the pile of reports. I doubt that there are many people editing video using the DSLR images at full size. Why? How would anyone play them back? The biggest screen I have is 1920X1080 and I am pretty much ahead of the curve. Most people who do not edit video have screens with smaller dimensions.

Eventually that will change as people get 4K televisions, so it might be a really good idea to fix it now rather than wait until the last minute and fail to get it into the release that hits just before the Christmas sales of 4K televisions at Sears and Walmart.

For those of you playing along at home it looks like the second image below. Look at the righthand edge:

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

Edit: My report has been submitted. Your turn.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 1:16 AM   in reply to Leofwyne

I don't know about wisdom, but I can offer some advice.

Read post #4 again. That is the easiest way. If your camera does not shoot video, then I suggest you use the DSLR setting for 720p and select 720p24 @23.976

Capture.JPG

As far as output goes, use H.264 and select the YouTube preset 720p 23.976

Sorry, but there is no good way to fit a portrait image into a landscape sequence. Pan up or down to see the entire photo, or crop it as much as you can, or both.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to Leofwyne

For "portrait oriented" Still Images, one has basically two choices (though I will add a variation to the first):

1. Use the portrait Still Image, just as it is, filling top to bottom of the horizontal (landscape) Video Frame, leaving black on each side. See variation below.
    2. Use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale to increase the width of the portrait Still, to fill that Video Frame, but effectively cropping the top & bottom, or with the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, degrees of one, or the other. Note: this Scaling will degrade the Image to some degree.

Now for that variation: I use "abstract backgrounds" to fill what would otherwise be the areas of black, beside the Still Image, as outlined here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2471303#2471303. What one uses to create that "abstract background," is limited only by the editor's imagination.

I see a lot of footage displayed on FoxNews, that was shot 4:3, but then used in Widescreen broadcast. There, they often will Scale the footage, Blur and "ghost" it, disregarding the loss of quality with the Scale, as it will not really be seen. Then, just run the 4:3 material as a PiP (Picture in Picture). With enough Blur and ghosting, that background is very abstract, though it is actually a manipulated version of what is in the PiP.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

More to add to Bill's list.

Show two portrait images side by side to fill up the frame better. Or maybe, for artistic purposes. you use one image and a copy and flip one over to be mirror image of the other.

Use your imagination. Think outside of the box, or the frame as it were, and see what appeals to you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points