Skip navigation
Michael Storm
Currently Being Moderated

Prevent Lightroom importing JPG JPEG

Feb 8, 2013 2:55 AM

Tags: #lightroom #jpeg #raw #import #stop #importing #jpg #prevent #don't

How can I make Lightroom import only RAW and not JPG files? (Some camera's require you to save a JPG next to a RAW to generate the best preview on the camera LCD)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 3:29 AM   in reply to Michael Storm

Most cameras that shoot Raw offer the option to shoot Raw+JPG, or Raw only - but not all. My little LX1 is one that does not give the option, so I get this same issue.

If you are using some other method to get the image files into your computer first, and then using the Add option to put them into LR, then you can just leave out these JPGs at that earlier point. However, IMO it is more convenient to have LR do the importing as a single operation. The idea of manually deleting the JPGs from the camera card before safely copying the pictures into the PC, scares me too much to contemplate doing that.

LR does not offer any simple built-in solution here, except by selecting the option to show Raw and JPG as separate images instead of pairing them up (which is what people sometimes do actively want). Then the JPG can be either deleted after import, or else de-selected in the Import dialog and not included in the first place.

If you delete the unwanted JPG, outside LR, after import, LR will not complain - but may continue to (informationally) report the image concerned as "Raw+JPG", even though that is no longer the case physically.

I don't have LR in front of me now, but I am pretty sure there is a sort order option for the Import screen. So if you can separate the images on your camera card by their filetype, and if you know that there are no JPGs on that camera card that you want to import into LR, you can easily highlight the Raw files as a group - and then proceed to Import just those into the computer.

Or: if you are interested in shooting Raw only, you can set your camera JPG settings to the fewest available JPG megapixels and the lowest possible saving quality. This makes a dramatic difference to the JPG file size, and they may well then be accepted as doing no real harm (not treating them as separate images in that case, just as non-functional sidecar files).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 3:23 AM   in reply to Michael Storm

In your Lightroom preferences general tab, make sure "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate photos" is not selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to Michael Storm

As DdeGannes said, if you just want to hide the jpegs, then uncheck "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate photos" ( they will still be copied from card to hard disk, and be moved around and renamed along with the raw - i.e. in like fashion as xmp sidecar file ). If this is your aim or close enough to it, then read no further.

If you want to assure jpeg is not copied to hard disk (instead of just hidden / treated like a sidecar), it's trickier, since the sort option in the import dialog box does not support sorting by file type/extension, so unchecking all the jpegs is a bother.

My advice? just import the jpegs and then delete them (easier if "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as seperate photos" is checked, in this case).

If you really want to simply exclude jpegs when importing, consider Ottomanic Importer which supports "Raws Only". Here is a cut from import options box:

_raw_only.gif

Note 'Import File Types' drop-down menu.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

the sort option in the import dialog box does not support sorting by file type/extension, so unchecking all the jpegs is a bother.

That's unfortunate, thanks for the correction. I recall trying, just not what things I tried.

It would have been convenient for native LR to either filter or sort on such a basis... one might want to exclude videos too, for example. Or to exclude small thumbnail versions (sort by filesize). It's not only a question of controlling "sidecar" pairings, IOW.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 1:01 AM   in reply to Michael Storm

Lightroom 5 does have a sorting function. You can chosse among 5 settings: "Capture time", "Checked state", "File name", "Media type" and "Off". None of these are any help, not even "Media type".

Here Adobe should do some changes asap! Put a filetype filter instead of Media type (which is moore or less useless).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 9:23 PM   in reply to Michael Storm

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would point something out, since this is the first thread I came across on Google regardsing this, and it might benefit others.

If you don't want jpeg or other files like videos included in an import, just open the explorer/folder window of your operating system that the files are in, then do a search for the file type you want. In my case, the Nikon raw file would be *.NEF. After the filetype search completes, but Lightroom and the explorer/folder window side by side. So then just select all of them from the search results and drag them into the Lightroom Library window. This will import only the raw files. Done.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2013 4:53 AM   in reply to onlyiwillremain

Nice tip, @onlyiwillremain

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers