Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharing a Help Project in RH10

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Two of us at our office are doing documentation in RH.  We are currently using RH9, and - since I have had HORRIBLE experiences with RH and networks in the past - she is literally working off of a completely separate project, and I then import her topic pages and images when she's done with them.  Obviously, this is very tedious.

I have read that RH10 has made changes that make networking better.  Can anyone tell me if this is true?  Would we both be able to open the same project at the same time?

Is there any other advice anyone can offer?  (By the way, we do of course have separate licenses of the Tech Comm Suite.)

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope - RH10 allows you to have your projects on a network drive, but it still can't have more than 1 person editing the project at the same time. You need to investigate source control for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris.

The point of a source control application is to prevent two or more users editing the same file. As you can imagine this could have serious reprocussions. Having said that most source control applications have a merge facility that allows you to merge together two versions of the same file. Again this can be problematic and has to be undertaken with great care.

I think your current approach is a good solution. Importing topics takes no time at all and as long as one of you is responsible for adding TOC entries, Index keywords, CBTs, etc. it should work well. I should add that whilst RH10 has the ability to run a project on a network, I'll still be nervous of doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW your RoboHelp licence includes its own source control application if you don't want to use a third party solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both.  I read that I should have source control with RH, however when I look under File > Version Control in my project, everything is disabled.  Can't find anything in my program group folder either.

Do you think that means it wasn't installed with the Tech Comm Suite (I'm on 3.5)?  Or is there something else I need to to do to activate it?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris. That cpuld just be because your project is not version controlled. It could also be that you did not install the RoboSourceControl application when your TCS was installed. You can always go back and install it using the TCS installer. However you'll also need to setup a database for it to use and link the application to it. There are some good links to various articles related to this here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It probably wasn't installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp