Skip navigation
creativefield
Currently Being Moderated

Product catalogs - page numbering products over multiple lists

Feb 8, 2013 12:56 PM

Tags: #catalog #indices #page_numbering #indesign_cs6

I used the TOC styles to create the main catalog TOC, and a basic alphabetical index, but I do not know how to apply the page number associated with the product to the different lists needed. Please see attached jpeg.  I don't know if this is the proper solution but is there a way to create multiple indices? Page numbering products.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to creativefield

Within 1 document, you can generate multiple ToCs and 1 Index. If you worked in separate, throwaway copies of a project you could develop differing indexes, then generate them, and bring the separate index text frame flows into one finished document for printing and finishing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to creativefield

If I understand this correctly, it looks to me like you can do this with multiple TOCs (make each with its own TOC style for ease of organization). It looks to me like your various lists are all alphabetical, except for the main "regular" TOC.

Do the same products appear in different lists split into different groupings, i.e. in one list do products 1 & 2 fall under the same heading, but then fall under two different headings in another list? That would complicate things quite a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to creativefield

This could be done within the one index, if you plan it out carefully. Each of your separate index lists would become a Topic Level 1. All of the components of each list would have to be created with the correct Topic Level 1. You would wind up with one large index that you would need to separate and reformat after the fact, but each of your lists would stay together within the generated index.

Screen shot 2013-02-08 at 4.26.29 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to creativefield

No, you would have to regenerate and then reformat after any changes. Even if you kept the whole thing together, it doesn't dynamically update. A new index has to be generated to reflex any changes. But if all your indexes use the same style set, it might not be too bad.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to creativefield

Actually, cross-references might be the way to go. You'd have to manually build the lists the first time, but they would update dynamically thereafter.

To do this with TOCs you'd probably need to build non-printing "tags" that carry the product name as many times as they would appear in a different group, and each group would need to have it's own paragraph style for sorting. I can explain that in more detail, but it seems far mor complex to me that either the index method or cross-refs.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 4:38 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

With cross-references, if products are added, moved, or deleted, the cross-references in TOCs and indexes need to be manually added, moved or deleted to match the changed order of source markers.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers