Skip navigation
JGEvans
Currently Being Moderated

Mixed fonts when exporting ePub file from InDesign

Feb 8, 2013 1:06 PM

Tags: #cs5.5 #indesign #newbie #cs6 #epub #epub_error #ibook #iphone_4s #fonts_incorrect

I am an ePubs newbie and have been watching some of the training videos on Lynda.com and  tried creating my first ePub document today.

I am having problems with mixed fonts when exporting the file and viewing on iBooks on an iPhone.

I have a document with paragraphs of text to be in a regular weight and certain words within the paragraphs are to be picked out in bold. So I've used a Paragraph Style for the main text and then used a Character Style to pick out the bold words. Simple enough!!

On export I am not embedding any fonts as I have unchecked that option on the export dailaogue. I have used the same font family in InDesign, but I cannot work out why I am getting both Serif and Sans Serif fonts displaying when viewing it on the iPhone. The main body appears in the Sans Serif font, but I have the bold character styles, subheads and even the numbers in the numbered lists are all displaying in a Serif Font.

In iBooks I can change the display font (I have the choices: Georgia, Iowan, Palatino, Seravek and Times New Roman) and this affects the fonts which are displaying as Serif, but the main body font remains constant as a Sans Serif (looks like Helvetica).

I would ideally like all the fonts in the document to display as Sans Serif with certain words, plus the headings and subheadings to be in the bold weight version of the same font family.

I've tried this in CS5.5 and CS6 with the same results.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to JGEvans

In the Export to Epub dialog, under Advanced, what are your choices under CSS options?

In your Paragraph Style options, under Export Tagging, what html tags have you chosen?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to JGEvans

You need to do some more investigation in two areas:

(1) You need to test your EPUB file with other EPUB readers. It sounds like you've been watching Anne-Marie Concepcion's videos on Lynda. com. Look at the videos about different EPUB readers. For sure, you should preview the EPUB with Adobe Digital Editions and other EPUB readers for Macintosh or Windows like Calibre or Nook or Reader Library. Anne-Marie mentions several. That will separate out what iBooks is doing from other readers.

(2) You need to go ahead to the chapters on previewing your EPUB in EPUB editors. That way you can view and show us what the HTML and CSS is appearing in the EPUB file. Then you can show us what output you're getting.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to JGEvans

I recommend cracking open the ePUB and viewing the CSS associated with the headings/subheadings vs. the main body. Set all to be "Sans Serif" for the font family. If that doesn't work in the iPAD, then the iPad is doing something to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 12:43 PM   in reply to JGEvans

Hi there,

I've noticed this problem for some time on the ipad. I haven't been able to fix it. Sorry I can't offer any advice, but just know that it's nothing you're doing wrong (as far as I can figure out, anyway).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points