So, I have found that DW CS6 cannot preview in Chrome. Preview works in every other browser I use BUT Chrome. And I found the reasom why, but not why it is doing it. But clearly, there is a bug.
If you try to preview in Chrome, it provides an improper link to the file.
For example, Safari or any other browser, will show the proper file URL of:
BUT Chrome does this:
Notice that Chrome leaves off the proper starting path of file:///Volumes/ and just uses file:// and thus, no ability to preview in Chrome and you get that "This webpage is not found" error message.
If you manually fix that starting file URL, Chrome will preview, but who the heck as the time and effort to do that? Nor, should we have to.
Anyone else have this, find a way to fix this.
I honestly don't know if this is a DW issue or not. If you don't already have them, get the DW updates.
Doing a fair bit of Googling before posting, it is an issue reported by many. Even here on these forums. But, most all of the posts have failed to point out the info I pointed out about the wrongly provided URL.
It really must be a DW thing IMHO as the browser does not care nor decide nor edit what URL you send to it. DW is sending the preview URL to Chrome, it is sending the wrong URL. The browser just opens what it is told, but makes no change or efforts to alter what it is sent. It trys to open what it is sent.
So, the browser is wrongly sent a URL from DW6 so it appears.
Just updated fully and still have the issue here at our school with 200 Macs running 10.8.2 and CS6 Dreamweaver 12.0.3. Publish a page to Chrome and missing /Volumes in the address. The index.html file is at /Volumes/Temporary_Storage. The address in Chrome is file://temporary_storage/test.html.
On Firefox the address is: file:///Volumes/Temporary_Storage/test.html
I gave up and just apply "file:///Volumes/" to Chrome when I want to preview. I use a cut and paste app that allows me to make permanent sets of text snippets, I assigned one to "file:///Volumes/" and in Chrome I just replace it's busted and incomplete "file://"
I think this hack really sucks, but I have no other solution.
Its kinda hard on instructors trying to teach and the software not working correctly. Somewhat of a simple workaround, but seems to be a something that would be simple to fix as well and stop Dreamweaver from looking bad and fix the small bug.
I will check with the product team. Meanwhile, if you think this is a bug, use the following link to register a bug with us.
If it is indeed a DW problem, it will help other users in future
Exactly the same issue, dreamweaver cc is up to date. The problem does seem to be that it is sending chrome the incorrect URL. Is there a fix coming for this? Seems pretty simple and it has been quite a while already.
Am curious if this is a browser version related issue. We released Dreamweaver CS6 a year back, and I don't recollect seeing this issue previously. Pardon if my memory has failed me.
That being said, this issue is now with the product team for a fix.
This issue is happening on opening files from other partitions in your MAC, Please make sure that all your files are in the same partition that you are working on .
That being said , we have an internal bug logged for this ,which will be prioritised for a fix based on the its position relative to other such issues
WOW!! an actual possible reason. I have not tested it, and yes I do keep my web files on a different drive than DW, so it makes actual possible sense. Now please... just fix it as not everyone keeps files/documents on the same drive as their apps or system.