Skip navigation
catherineb12x
Currently Being Moderated

Help! Dreamweaver keeps automatically 'putting' my template onto the server every time I save it.

Feb 8, 2013 4:37 PM

Tags: #cs4 #error #template #dreamweaver #putting

For some reason Dreamweaver keeps automatically 'putting' my template onto the server every time I save it, overwriting the template that was originally on there and I don't know why. It never used to do this and all my other sites work fine and don't have this problem... I don't want it to keep overwriting the files I have on the server... does anyone know how to stop it from doing this please? I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give.

If it helps, I'm using CS4.

Thanks,

Catherine.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to catherineb12x

Welcome to the Forum Catherine -

I don't have your version, but while having a copy your template is not required for functionality,

It's a good idea to have a backup copy on the server in case you lose your local copy.

How many different templates are you using?  If you rename unused templates on the server, they would not be overwritten.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 10:31 AM   in reply to catherineb12x

Go to Site > Manage Sites > Edit. 

Remove the "automatically FTP on Save" option as this can be especially dangerous when you make mistakes.  And everyone makes mistakes.

When you're ready to upload use Ctrl+Shift+U.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to catherineb12x

Same thing. 

Do you have a local testing server defined?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to catherineb12x

OK.  Looks like an incomplete set-up.  Nevertheless, DW thinks you have a local testing server.  Each time you save files, it's putting copies in your  C:\Users\Catherine\Pictures\tailormadeart folder.

Unless you're building dynamic web sites that use server-side scripts and databases, you don't need a testing server in DW.  All you need is a Local site and your Remote server.

For static HTML sites, I recommend you delete or disable the Testing Server definition.  See screenshot.

CS6-disable-Testing-Server.jpg

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points