Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PSD files vanished - CS6

Feb 8, 2013 3:15 PM

I am in charge of marketing at a financial institution and have a pretty vast experience with CS6 and prior versions as I use it regularly.  For a little background, I have been designing ads and marketing materials for campaigns professionally for years and using PS/CS since the original version.

I save all my files to a share drive on our server at the corporate office; it is extremely stable and have never had an issue doing so.

Recently I received a new PC for work and upon getting it set up I realized some of my project folders have the rendered PDF files inside but the original raw PSD files are completely missing.  They were not moved, nor located on the old hard drive as I stated before; this was a shared drive on our network.

All my other files; mp3/wav/mp4/.doc/favorites/pdf/tiff/jpeg/etc etc are all there and intact but it seems that folders with large numbers of PSD files are now all sans PSD documents.  Its like they vanished completely.

I searched the drives that I use regularly and my harddrive(s) but they are simply gone.

This is detrimental.

I have seen issues like this pop up when I searched for answers but it seemed it was always user error; losing the files, hidden folders, user rights, hard drive errors, misplacement, expectations of file recovery actually working 100% of the time..

These are not recovered files, they were ones I accesed and used regularly; everything from logos, poster designs, large format billboards etc.   There are some folders with PSD files in them, some not.

No other file types are missing, this is a PSD isolated issue.

If there were missing files of all types, I would blame it on the file server but it simply isn't the case.

This is not a case of administrative rights or hidden folders.

Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to nmrecording

There can be problems in saving directly to a server, can not remember the exact issues but they were either loosing or contaminating PSD,  several posts about it a few weeks  ago.  The conclusion was to save locally first and then transfer to server.  Probably not what you want to hear but maybe someone else will chime in with other thoughts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 8, 2013 7:17 PM   in reply to nmrecording

I'm having trouble seeing how this could be considered a Photoshop problem yet...

At one point did you see that your PSD files were on the server, and now they're not there?  Or are you not sure if the PSD files ever saved to the server properly?

If the former, Photoshop doesn't take it upon itself to delete PSD files under any circumstances, except briefly while actually saving (and people DO say they lose files during Photoshop Save operations occasionally).

Does your IT department back up the server files?  Perhaps they're available on a backup.

PSD files can be kind of big...  One has to wonder whether some IT hotshot might have swept them off the disk to make more disk space.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 2:04 AM   in reply to nmrecording

So what did you find when you hooked the old computer back up? Were the PSD files still there?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to nmrecording

nmrecording wrote:

PSD files werent on old PC as stated above; these files are saved to a file server.

The thought here is that by connecting the old PC, it might communicate with the server properly and you might be able to "see" and retrieve the missing PSD files.

Just a possibility, and I hope the old machine was not erased or trashed.

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to gener7
    The thought here is that by connecting the old PC, it might communicate with the server properly and you might be able to "see" and retrieve the missing PSD files.

Exactly!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 11, 2013 5:46 AM   in reply to nmrecording

What is your theory on how Photoshop could have deleted the files off the server?  It does some weird things on occasion, but sweeping through folders and deleting PSD files is certainly not one of them!  Are you thinking every time a PSD file was opened and saved it was lost?  That's more plausible.

I advise you to start getting your IT people to restore the files from backup (and ask them what might have happened as well).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 11, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to nmrecording

You're saying you can see the files there from some PCs and not others, right now?

You're not being very specific (e.g., about what OS you're running, whether you're using mapped network drives vs. UNC names, whether you have a domain or workgroup security, what kind of server it is, etc.).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 11, 2013 12:26 PM   in reply to nmrecording

No one is attacking anyone here.  I thought what I just did was ask for more information.  I'm sorry that you seem to have missed my meaning.

Everyone here is volunteering their efforts here.  Please make it easy on them to help you.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points