Skip navigation
214jbandy
Currently Being Moderated

Ripple Delete Leaving 1 Frame Space

Feb 8, 2013 7:00 PM

Tags: #audio #delete #clip #ripple #delete_ripple

I used the razor tool to cut out the middle portion of an audio clip. When I use ripple delete to remove the space between the clips, it deletes the space, but leaves one frame empty. There are no video clips, only 3 audio tracks in the project. There aren't any clips above or below where I'm trying to edit. I've tried this on several clips and it keeps happening. Please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2013 12:22 AM   in reply to 214jbandy

Try using CTRL-K instead of the imprecise Razor Tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to 214jbandy

Post a screen shot of the sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to 214jbandy

Try using Frames instead of Audio time Units in your sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to 214jbandy

I can't reproduce your issue. Can you start a new project and see if it occurs there?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to 214jbandy

Also...what happens if you use CTRL-K instead of the Razor Tool?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 4:45 PM   in reply to 214jbandy

These are audio clips.  It's very possible they end "in between" frames, which is why the gap.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:51 PM   in reply to 214jbandy

Otherwise I have to use the track selection tool (Shift + A) in order to select everything and move it down my timeline.

...so what is the problem with doing just that?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 10:05 PM   in reply to 214jbandy

Here is my 2 cents worth about the razor tool.

I believe it has a different function  in editing but not as a general way to make an efficient edit.  ( It is for splitting a clip)

The razor tool only "edits" in the Timeline" (Sequence) ...where as I edit in the source monitor and trim in the Timeline" (Sequence).

The (Select All) solution I suggested might work for you...was based on the way you edit ( Razor Tool in the timeline and not actually a work around)

Also, since I have "snap to" turned off for finer edits, it takes more time to click and drag and hover over the edit to make sure it's aligned with the previous clip.

Keep Snap on.

Mouse near your edit point with Shift  held ...and you will lock on to the edit point or use the keyboard shortcut for Next Edit Point.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to 214jbandy

I have had a similar one frame problem when I try to ripple delete the head of clip (that had been cut with ctrl-k) and also when I try to fit to fill selecting the in and out points with the up and down arrows.  It doesn't ahppen all the time... probably about a third of the time.

I've been cutting a lot of short lectures based on other people's video logs.  The first step is to dump the lecture, roughly cut off the head and add timecode.  As you can see from the image, when I shift-deleted to remove the head it left a one frame gap.

shift_delete_one_frame.jpg

The other time I have noticed this is after I get the first round of edits.  This usually involves dropping in images for a set length of time, often with a black matte underneath them.  My workflow is to put all of the image on V3 and then go back and add the matte.  I set the duration of the matte with in and out points that I get by up-arrowing through the sequence.  Again, about a third of the time my selection is off by a single frame.

i_o_one_frame.jpg

What is particularly annoying is that I have to keep zooming into the timeline to check on my I/O points which really slows me down.

Definitley seems like Premiere has an issue with single frames at times

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to Allynn Wilkinson

These issues started popping up for me after the new "unproductive" trim functions were implemented in CS6.

You have to really zoom in EVERY time to fix these issues!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points