Skip navigation
skeeterz71xxx 167 posts
Nov 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Question about having a test server and a remote server

Feb 8, 2013 9:33 PM

Hi,

using DW CS6

I have my site setup on a test server XAMPP. Now I want to publish to a remote server. When I select remote server it wants me to define a site. This means having my site listed twice on the site definition box. I can see having the site twice at some point is going to cause me some confusion. Is it necessary to define the site twice? Is there a way to have remote and test on the same site definition go to two different servers?

Reason I'm asking is because the test server is new to me. I use to have the site set up in a folder on my computer and the site definition was the remote server so hopping between the two was fairly straight forward. I'm just wondering if that is possible now I have the site on XAMPP.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2013 12:51 AM   in reply to skeeterz71xxx

When you created your site in Dreamweaver, you gave it a name and defined a local site folder, right? You shouldn't have to do that twice to add a remote server.

In Site Setup > Servers, you will have to define a new server however if you want to keep your testing server. But this should not cause any conflicts, because they are both pointing to the same local folder in XAMPP, right?

If I know I'm going to need a testing server, I make sure that my site folder is in my XAMPP/htdocs/ folder. That way I don't have to bother with having to keep track of two versions of the same site. Then when it's time to upload it to the remote server, I'm just adding a new server, and checking the "Remote" box.

One site, two servers ( Local/Network & FTP), no conflicts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2013 10:42 AM   in reply to skeeterz71xxx

Didn't have a local site defined, because I thought that it was local, being in my C:\xampp\htdocs and all:)

I keep my local site folder inside my testing server.  That way when I save a file, it's automatically saved in my testing server.

DW needs a local site definition in order to properly manage your file links and assets for you.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points