Skip navigation
malyuta1202
Currently Being Moderated

How to sync external folders with Website Main Folder?

Feb 8, 2013 5:34 PM

Hello everyone,

I am working with dreamweaver on a website on which I hope to create a database of university notes that I take daily.

First off, the reason I chose dreamweaver is because with the help of coding, I hope to emulate a "dropbox-like" environmenet whereby I save a file in some folder on my computer, click FTP upload in dreamweaver, and that file appears for download on my website. This, in my opinion, will save me time in comparison to solution such as Moodle where I have to upload files from an online form (which I find painfully slow).

I save my note files in a specific directory. This directory is not the root directory of my website. I know that when I save a file in the root directory of my site, and click FTP upload, that file will be uploaded to my server (Fatcow is the provider here). However, as I save the file in a different folder, clicking FTP upload will not simply put that file on my server. What I am searching for is a solution to allow me to save a file in some folder on my computer, and have dreamweaver synchronise the contents of that external folder with the root folder of my site such that I can then link to them on my site for others to download.

EXTRA: for now, my idea for having these files appear as link downloads on my site is have a text file with links to all the files I have uploaded, and read that file using a PHP script which will add a link for each file there is. Is there a better method whereby all it would take for a file to appear as a download link on my website is its presence in my site's root folder??

THANK YOU so much for any help given!!!

Yours,

Daniel.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 5:53 PM   in reply to malyuta1202

Take a look at OwnCloud.org - basically a server application you can install on your own hosting server and run your own "file sync" service. It has a client app for managing the syncing/uploading files to the server.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 6:13 PM   in reply to malyuta1202

Sure. I only mention OwnCloud as:

1) It's open source so you can see how they're approaching things and learn from it, even if ultimately you don''t use a single line of their code

2) You can use it as a starting point to build your own app (assuming you're okay releasing your code under the GPL 2.0 license)

Trying to get Dreamweaver to play file manager and syncing utility with an online custom-built web app...is...well, I believe it will ultimately be a frustrating experience as Dreamweaver isn't designed or built for that. It's really an IDE for web designers and web developers that just happens to have FTP functionality. Frankly there's better apps when it comes to FTP/syncing functionality. I'd say you'd have a better chance of success with creating shell scripts (powershell or bash) to ssh into your server, run some form of diff/versioning, and sync files.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to malyuta1202

>However, as I save the file in a different folder, clicking

>FTP upload will not simply put that file on my server

Is the folder within the defined site (a subfolder in the site) or external to the defined site?  DW only manages files within your defined site. If it's external, then you would either need to create a new site definition, or use another FTP client.

I agree with bemdesign; DW is really a poor choice to use to FTP files unrelated to your site. There are much better and more flexible FTP clients out there. Once you do have your files on your site, you can certainly use PHP or any other server side scripting to list your library of files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points