Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Rotate a single brush stroke?

Feb 8, 2013 11:45 PM

Tags: #photoshop #help #transform #brush #selection #paths #transform_path #ps_cs6 #brush_stroke #marquee_ #marquee_tools #selection_tools #rotate_brush_stroke #create_work_path #selection_to_path #transform_a_single_brush_stroke #break_a_path

Hello:

I have created a brush that is meant to mimic stitching and i would like to be able to rotate one "stitch" or stroke at a time...                              ( i rasterized the shape)

I have used Ctrl + Click on the Shapes Thumbnail to make a Selection and then went to Select > Modify > Contract

and then I went to the Paths palette and from the drop down/fly out menu i chose Make Work Path and then...

i Right Clicked on the Work Paths Thumbnail and chose: Stroke Path > Brush (chose my custom brush)

I manipulated the Path as much as possible to create the curves as needed but...

i still need to modify the stitches ...

If i recall correctly i think i read somewhere that i can use a Marquee tool select individual brush strokes (that are a part of the same path) to rotate and/or relocate/move in general

however, i cannot seem to get it to work for me ... so, i am thinking i've forgotten a step or that i may be totally wrong.

Can i rotate a single brush stroke? is there a way to "ungroup" like in Illustrator or some other sort of Ps creature that'll help me do what i would like to do? i am still searching the manual but i'm probably asking the wrong questions.

Bcase-forum.png

above is an example of what i'm trying to explain ... all the dashes are on one path but i would like to be able to rotate just one at a time (like in the red circle)

is this at all possible? i've tried to paint em all manually but it just doesn't end up looking nice at all.

your time and efforts and alternative ideas are greatly appreciated.

hope your doing well and having a great day/night

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2013 11:58 PM   in reply to Kar209

You are confusing AI and PS workflows. Selecting and transforming would only work in AI and even there only after expanding the apperance to convert the stroke to filled objects. In PS I'd simply used the dashed stroke layer style on a duplicate of the layer and scale it accordingly...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to Kar209

How about showing an example, or a simplified mock-up containing only a few stitches, of the effect that you're trying to achieve. Rotating the already painted individual stitches could be done but there's likely to be several suggestions of quick ways to get the desired result from scratch... if you provide an image of what that result should be.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to Kar209

Building on Mylenium's suggestion, you might get something like below.

Untitled-1.png

After adding a few layer styles:

Untitled-2.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points