Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can you help with this serious error message?

Feb 8, 2013 9:39 PM

Tags: #error #crash #message #just #about #(after #anything)

I have Premiere Elements 8.  I tried to open some .prel that I have made and now I get this error message:   Projects created with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible.  Please use the appropriate application to open this project.  What gives??  Also, as usual, Premiere Elements 8 crashes after I have accomplished one lousy thing, so I have to constantly open project and save.  Now I can't even open a project.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to lilthea

Have you ensured you have the update patch for version 8? If not, go to the Help menu and Check for Updates.

Also ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime.

Were these .prel files created with the same copy of Premiere Elements 8 that you're now using to open them?

And, if you want to troubleshoot further, please list your operating system, processor and speed, RAM and how much free, clean space is on your hard drive(s).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 5:21 AM   in reply to lilthea

Are you saying that you only have 20 gigs of free space on your hard drive? That could definitely be an issue, especially if you're working with only one hard drive and your video is anything but miniDV footage. You've got a pretty minimally powered machine for this build of the software and not a lot of room for it to work.

The program needs room to open, it needs room to write continually to the hard drive and it needs space to create temp and render files -- and the longer your project and the higher definition your footage, the more you need.

If you're working on a single hard drive, you're going to need (depending on what you're using as source footage) between 50 and 100 gigs free -- and that should be clean (run Disk Cleanup) and defragmented (run Defragmenter).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to lilthea

Holy cow! Something is seriously wrong here, lilthea!

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

What project settings did you select when you set up your project? (You can see them under Edit/Project Settings.)

Version 8 was not the best version of the program ever produced. In fact, it was one of the worst, when first released. But if you downloaded the update (from Help/Check for Updates) and the rest of your system is stable, you should at least be able to edit video from a miniDV, HDV or even AVCHD camcorder.

If you truly can't do ANYTHING without it crashing though, there's something much, much deeper going on that a bug in your program or its set-up. (This is why I need you to be as specific as you can about things!) If things are really that unstable, it could indicate malware or viruses or possible corruption of the operating system.

I sometimes recommend a program that I use every week but that some people object to because it's Chinese software and has been accused of stealing virus definitions from other software companies. But it's got an easy interface. Just select Deep Care, click the go button and then select the option to clean. In my opinion, it makes your operating system as good as new. But there are some people who disagree, so that's my personal recommendation only.

Download the free version from here:

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

What you're dealing with could be problems with your source video -- since I don't have enough information to say either way. But, assuming your video came from a miniDV, HDV or AVCHD camcorder and that you've properly set up your project to those specs, a tune-up using Advanced System Care might be worth considering.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to lilthea

How are you converting the VHS video to digital video?

That's likely the problem, as you can run into all sorts of problems if you're using something other than a true digital bridge to do the conversion.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

Devices like the Dazzle convertor, capture cards or other inexpensive convertors for video can produce all sorts of crappy files and codecs -- codecs that can very much choke the life out of a video editor like Premiere Elements.

Once again, lilthea, if you want us to help you, we're going to need details! How are you converting your DVDs and VHS videos to editable video files? This seems very likely at the crux of your situation.

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, we may have to step back and experiment. Make sure we get a good digital conversion of your files. Then make sure we've properly set up your Premiere Elements project for this video type. You'll be amazed at how smoothly things go once you get the workflow right!

But if that's too overwhelming, you may want to consider another video editing program -- one that's more forgiving with the format of video you add to it.

I don't mean this dismissively. I'm just trying to point out that your options are either to posssibly start the process over and do it right -- or to transition the project to a program that's not quite so full featured (like Windows MovieMaker) but which can work with a wider variety of video formats.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to lilthea

You do beautiful work, lilthea -- and I certainly respect your challenges and efforts.

Unfortunately, you've got a kind of complicated workflow with the version of Premiere Elements that's least capable of working with complicated workflows.

I really think you ought to give Windows MovieMaker a chance. It's not only free but, if your operating system is fully updated, it should already be on your computer.

It's not nearly as full-featured as Premiere Elements, of course. But for basic editing with titles and outputting DVDs, it can't be beat. It handles most video formats, it's extremely stable and the results look terrific.

It's certainly a great alternative to a program that apparently crashes every time you open it.

I wish you the very best with your project in any event.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to lilthea

For the Unlinking of Audio and Video, there are two easy methods. The one that you choose will depend on exactly what you wish to do.

First, for a temporary Unlinking, just Alt+click on the Audio, to Unlink it from the Video. Reestablish sync, and when you Select another Clip, that Link will come back.

Onc can also click on a Clip, then go to the Clip menu in the Toolbar, choosing Unlink Audio & Video. This will stay in effect, until one manually Relinks the two streams.

For syncing, this FAQ Entry might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436751

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to lilthea

The DVR can introduce some problems, of their own. I have a Panasonic unit, similar to your Toshiba, and use it when I go to digitize from VHS tapes, but in a different workflow. I will first make a DVD of the VHS, but JUST for archival purposes for the client. I then use the VHS part of that deck, to feed the tape's signal through an A-D bridge for Capture in Premiere. That is what I edit.

With most DVR units, there is a rudimentary Menu and navigation added to the DVD-Video, though they are so simple, that many users never really notice them. That Menu and navigation will be in the first VOB on the resulting DVD-Video, and can keep Premiere from being able to Import it properly. Often, all other VOB's Import fine, but not the first one, because it is not 100% DVD-compliant. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2977189#2977189

Also, as a DVD-Video is Encoded with the heavily compressed MPEG-2 DVD CODEC, it is not the best candidate for editing, and especially if the final output will be to DVD-Video again, because there will then be two MPEG-2 DVD compressions (think of a FAX of a FAX). That is why I use my Panasonic DVR ONLY as a VHS player, and do the actual Capture to DV-AVI via the A-D bridge (a Canopus in my case).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points