Skip navigation
Chloé_L
Currently Being Moderated

I can't open CSS in any of my browsers

Feb 9, 2013 1:11 PM

Tags: #dreamweaver #css #cs6

Hi, I have Dreamweaver CS6 and I am not able to preview in chrome, safari or firefox. My HTML is working but not the CSS.Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 4.07.21 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to Chloé_L

You can't open CSS files in browsers. You can only open HTML files in browsers.

HTML = content

CSS = code to style the content

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to Chloé_L

Are you working in a defined site folder in DW?

If not, DW can't manage your site assets and links for you. 

Or you may have some errors in your code. 

Or possibly a bad path to the external CSS file.

The best way to get help is to show us your code.  The best way to do that is to upload your work to a public web space you control (your remote server) and post the URL here.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to Chloé_L

For Dreamweaver to work most efficiently and effectively you should always define a site before working on a project. Defining a site in Dreamweaver basically tells Dreamweaver the following:

1). This directory/folder on my local machine will store all the files and resources associated with this site

2). It tells Dreamweaver what technology stack your site will use (such as PHP/MySQL)

3). It tells Dreamweaver where your testing and remote servers are located and how to acces them, thus allowing Dreamweaver's FTP ability to be used to load your local files up to the server.

The most fundamental benefit of defining a site in Dreamweaver is #1 - helping Dreamweaver know where all your site's resources should be located.

For your issue though your page is inside the css folder, thus making the filepath to the css sheets within your index.html document incorrect. So look in that css folder and you have index.html. Inside that index.html document you have the following code in the <head> of the document:

<link href="css/reset.css" rel="stylesheet">

<link href="css/general.css" rel="stylesheet">

See that filepath - css/reset.css? If your index.html is already in the css folder, this file path is telling it to look for a css folder *inside* the css folder and then find a file called reset.css.

To correct this issue, just drag and drop the index.html file up a directory within the Dreamweaver File manager pane (or go into Finder and drap and drop it up a level (so inside the "tutorial-box-model" folder).

And that should fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 3:30 PM   in reply to Chloé_L

Defining site files in DW.  Go to Site > Manage Sites > New...

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt1.htm l

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points