Skip navigation
IanDispense
Currently Being Moderated

ERROR: "iOS publishing requires files" UNSOLVABLE?

Feb 9, 2013 2:21 PM

Tags: #error #flash #ios #ipad #cs6 #flash_cs6 #ios_publishing

Today is February 9th, 2013

I have google'd for 2 weeks now, tried everything that I've read and I cannot get past this problem. I will be as detailed as I possibly can.

System Setup

MacPro 2 x2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

10GB RAM

Mac OS X 10.8.2

4 IDE 1TB HDs

Software Setup

Flash CS6 (trial) version 12.0.2.529

AIR 3.4 and 3.2

Problem

I can not Publish my iOS app (create an IPA file).

Details

I downloaded the trial of the entire CS6 suite from Adobe, installed it, found and followed iBrent's tutorials on how to create an app (SimpleiOSApp.fla) and have been stone-walled at PUBLISH for 2 weeks. During those two weeks I have tried every solution and suggestion that the internet has to offer. What have I missed? What else could I possibly try?

I have tried the following

Logging out.

Restarting.

Update the OS.

Update Flash.

Update AIR.

Uninstall/Reinstall Flash.

Uninstall/Reinstall CS6.

Uninstall/Reinstall AIR.

Installed FlashBuilder 4.5 (trial)

RE-INSTALLING MAC OS X SNOW LEOPARD, then updating it fully, then trying to publish.

RE-INSTALLING MAC OS MOUNTAIN LION, then updating it fully, then trying to publish.

Moving all images into the same directory as the .as and .fla.

Moving the .mobileprovision and .p12 into the same directory as the .as and .fla.

Deleting Japanese and French from the .xml file.

Creating a new user account on the machine, logging into that and trying to publish from there.

Changed the publish settings to/from AIR 3.4 for iOS and AIR 3.2 for iOS.

Locking the .xml file.

Help would be appreciated. I have half the time that I thought I would now that the trial is midway through.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,371 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to IanDispense

the steps required to get a certificate and publishing profile are pretty complicated.  it's most like that you've failed at that step.

here's an excerpt from a book i've written that will be published this year:

Your Game for iOS

To publish a game for iOS that your are developing, you will need

1. A development Certificate (a secure certificate that allows you to develop iOS apps/games) and
    2. For each app/game, a development Provisioning Profile.

Using both of those you can publish apps/games that can be tested (but only on devices you designate to the authorities at Apple) and only after you pay $99 per year (for your Developer License) and navigate an overly-complicated process to obtain those two files.

Then if you want to submit an app/game to the Apple store (or you want to distribute your game to users with unknown devices), you must also obtain

1. A distribution Certificate (a secure certificate that allows you to distribute iOS apps/games) and
    2. For each app/game, a distribution Provisioning Profile.

The steps listed below are needed to obtain the first two files that are required to develop an iOS game.  This list is not intended to be casually read. 

Dog-ear or otherwise note this page and use it as a reference to obtain the files you need when you need them.  I envision you and myself, the next time I need one of the above files, navigating to the apple developer page and following the relevant steps for the needed file(s).

You will not need to follow all 29 steps every time you want to create a new app/game.  Some steps (1-13) only need to be followed once per year (unless you develop over 100 apps/games in less than one year). And some steps (14-16) are also be less frequently needed than the main steps (17-29) which you must follow each time you want to develop a new app/game.

***Begin Bulleted List***

The first 13 steps need to be repeated once each year when your Apple Developer License expires and you need another Certificate file.  You will need to use a Mac or virtual Mac computer for some of these steps.

Steps 14, 15 and 16 you need to follow to add a new device for testing.  That can be done any time your license is valid.  You only need to use a Mac or virtural Mac computer if you need to determine a device's UDID (Unique Device Identifier).

And steps 17 to 29 you need to follow each time you want to develop an additional app/game with a new App ID.  You can use a PC for all these steps.

***End Bullted List***

1. Go to the https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action using a Mac computer or a virtual Mac
    2. Log-in or, if you are not registered, register and then login.  (Registration costs $99/year.)
    3. Click on the iOS Dev Center link. 
    4. Click iOS Provisioning Portal link.  (See Fig08-04.)
    5. Click the Certificates link in the left panel.
    6. Click the Development tab in the right panel.
    7. Click the Request Certificate button in the right panel.
    8. Follow the directions using Keychain Access to create your development Certificate.  (See Fig 08-05.)  Apple has easy-to-follow directions to create a Certificate Signing Request that is used to create your Certificate. The steps needed to create a Certificate Signing Request appear in the right panel after step 7.  The only part I stumble on is when instructed to open Certificate Assistant.  You will find it at the top left of your Mac's screen after clicking Keychain Access, not in the Keychain Access window. 
    9. The right panel should change to show your Certificate is Pending Issuance.  Refresh the page and you should see Your Certificate is Issued and ready for download. (See Fig08-06.) 
    10. Download your ios_development.cer by clicking the download button.
    11. Download an AppleWWDRCA.cer by clicking the "*If you do not have the WWDR intermediate certificate installed, click here to download now." link.
    12. Open both files in Keychain Access (using the login Keychain).
    13. Right click your private key in Keychain Access (you may need to expand the iPhone Developer certificate shown in your Keychain Access window) and click Export.  Make sure File format is Personal Information Exchange (.p12) and click Save.  You will be prompted for a password that you must remember.  You will use that password each and every time you publish an iOS game and you will use your .p12 (development Certificate) file for all the apps/games you develop (until your Certificate expires and you pay another $99 and follow these steps again).

Congratulations, you have completed the steps needed to obtain the first of the four files mentioned previously. 

1. Click on the Devices link in the left panel.  Then click the Add Devices button towards the upper right to add devices that will be used to test your game. You usually cannot test your game on a device unless you add it here or your device is jail-broken. There is an exception (using a distribution Certificate and ad hoc distribution Provisioning Profile) covered in the next section. (See Fig08-07.)
    2. You will need to enter the Device Name (pick something sensible) and the Device ID.  The Device ID is the UDID (Unique Device ID) that will be used for testing the app/game. To find a device's UDID follow the instructions in 16a, 16b, 16c and 16d.  Otherwise, you can skip those steps.  (See Fig08-08.)

16a.  Open iTunes and connect your device to your Mac or virtual Mac.

16b.  In the left panel of iTunes find your device and click on it to reveal summary info about it in the right panel.  (Make sure the summary tab is selected to see that info.)

16c.  Click the device's serial number (in the right panel) to reveal the device's identifier.  That identifier is the UDID.  Copy it to your clipboard and paste it

16d.  Click the plus sign to add more devices or repeatedly click Add Devices.  (You are limited to 100 testing devices per Certificate.)

1. Click the App IDs link in the left panel.
    2. Click the New App ID button (towards the upper right).   (See Fig08-09.)
    3. Enter your App description (using only alpha numeric characters).
    4. Select Team ID (unless you already have a Bundle Seed ID that you wish to re-use for related apps/games) in the Bundle Seed ID combobox.
    5. Enter your Bundle Identifier.  If you have a website, use com.yourwebsitename.yourappname for your Bundle Identifier.
    6. Click submit. 
    7. You should be back at the main App IDs link and your new App ID (along with all your other App IDs) should be listed.   (See Fig08-10.)
    8. Click the configure link if you want to add Apple Push Notification service and follow that multi-step procedure that has helpful instructions.
    9. Click Provisioning in the left panel and, in the right panel, confirm that the Distribution tab is selected and click the New Profile button towards the upper right.  (See Fig08-11.)
    10. Enter a Provisioning Profile name, tick whose Certificate will be used with the Provisioning Profile and select the desired App ID from the combobox and tick the device that will be used for testing during development and click Submit.
    11. You should be back at the Provisioning link/Development tab and the status (fourth column) of your new profile is probably pending. (Mine always is.)  (See Fig08-12 where I just added a "switcher" Profile.)
    12. Refresh the page.  Your Provisioning Profile's status should change to active and a download button should appear.  If it doesn't, go have a frappe and refresh the page when you return.  (See Fig08-13.)
    13. Click the download button to download your Provisioning Profile.  Save this to the directory where you are developing your app/game.  Each app/game will have its own Provisioning Profile.

***Insert Fig08-04.tif***

[iOS Provisioning Portal page showing left panel links Home, Certficates, Devices, App IDs, Provisioning and Distribution.  You will need to use all but Home and Distribution.]

***Callouts (Fig08-04-callouts.tif):

*** 1. The Request Certificate button to start the process of obtaining your development certificate.

***Insert Fig08-05.tif***

[After clicking Request Certificate you will see this helpful page of instructions.]

***Insert Fig08-06.tif***

[After following the directions for using Keychain Access and uploading your .]

***Insert Fig08-07.tif***

[After clicking Devices you should see this.]

***Insert Fig08-08.tif***

[After clicking the Add Devices button, you should see this where you enter an app name and UDID and click the plus sign to enter more names and UDIDs or click submit.]

***Insert Fig08-09.tif***

[After clicking App IDs on the left and New App ID on the right, you should see this where you enter a description, Bundle Seed ID and Bundle Identifier.]

***Insert Fig08-10.tif***

[You should see this after submitting your new App ID.]

***Insert Fig08-11.tif***

[You should see this after clicking New Profile.]

***Insert Fig08-12.tif***

[You should see this after submitting a new developer Provisioning Profile.]

***Insert Fig08-13.tif***

[You should see this after refreshing the Provisioning page.]

With your development certificate and development Provisioning Profile, you are ready to publish an iOS game from Flash Pro. 

After exploring how to publish an iOS game using your .p12 development Certificate and your development Provisioning Profile, I will list the steps needed for you to obtain a distribution Certificate and distribution Provisioning Profile.  Those steps are similar to the steps just listed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2013 5:12 PM   in reply to IanDispense

Solutions to this problem may be found in another thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3909140

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status