Skip navigation
Cathy2013
Currently Being Moderated

Tools defaulting to the pen tool

Feb 9, 2013 6:18 PM

When using Ai CS6 I'm finding that no matter what tools I have selected Ai keeps defaulting to the pen tool, useually Delete Ancor. This is incredibly frustrating... Is anyone else experiencing this, or have I just not set somyhning correctly??

Any help would be most welcome. Cheers Cathy.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 11:03 PM   in reply to Cathy2013

Sorry, what do you mean by "defaulting to"? Do you meaqn when you press "p" that the delete anchor pen comes up? Or are you talking about using an alternate key to toggle between the pen tool and say, direct select, and the pen is coming back as the delete anchor tool instead of the pen tool?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 9:16 AM   in reply to Cathy2013

Hi, I am having the same issue with Ai CC but I do use the keyboard shortcuts for zoom alot and don't want to disable these controls. I have a wacom tablet connected but have been using the mouse when this happens so I don't think it is the tablet wheel that was causing it (I'll see if the mouse wheel does the same thing). I'll try to keep an eye out for exactly what I am doing at the time it automatically selects the delete anchor tool to see if there is a consistent point and I'll post again.

Thanks

Corrie

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 9:21 AM   in reply to corriela

Update -

If I use the keyboard shortcuts for zoom in or out multiple times in quick succession is causes the pen tool to select i.e. If I press 'ctrl +' several times the 'Add anchor' pen tool becomes selected. If I press 'ctrl -' several times the 'Delete anchor' pen tool becomes selected.

As I said, I don't want to disable this function as it's useful, is there another work around? (I will just click them slower for now but this isn't ideal!)

Thanks Corrie

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 10:16 AM   in reply to corriela

Are you really sure you didn't miss the ctrl key?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 1:15 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

I guess it's possible - I'll test it again. I was holding the ctrl key down continuously while pressing + or -

A colleague has shown me that I can hold Alt and use the mouse wheel to zoom instead so I'm going to try and get into the habit of that instead

Hope that's useful to someone else

Thanks Corrie

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points