Skip navigation
MarksQuestions123
Currently Being Moderated

Does Lightroom 4 support 10-bit color?

Feb 9, 2013 7:59 PM

Hoping to learn if Lightroom supports 10-bit color.  I know it supports ProPhotoRGB and 16-bit image files.  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2013 8:27 PM   in reply to MarksQuestions123

You mean in the display pipeline? No, it doesn't...if you mean in the image file, no, any file that is 8, 10, 12, 14 or 16 bit is internally processed as a ProPhoto RGB color in a linear gamma. The output in export can be 8 or 16 bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 11:34 PM   in reply to MarksQuestions123

In respect of 10 bit display pipeline this is very relevant question.

Windows 7 in Aero Basic mode supports 10 bit workflow and assume that Windows 8 as well. Performance of desktops and laptops is constantly improving. Compliant GPUs are available and more reasonable priced monitors with 10 bits color are in or coming to market.

Many LR users are enthusiastic photographers and keen to improve performance of their systems. It is difficult to understand why new LR4 does not support 10 bit workflow. Particularly so when Photoshop has been, to my understanding, supporting it since CS5 i.e. more than two years.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 4:40 AM   in reply to MarksQuestions123

Actually, the previous answers were only partially correct w.r.t. to displaying 10-bit colors. In contrast to what was said, LR4 (I use version 4.4) supports 10-bit colors, however only in the develop module. The library module does not seem to support it which could be because 1) it really does not support it or 2) the library previews are created with lower color depth or 3) something I haven't considered

I first read this somewhere and then personally verified it with ATI's ramp.psd test file on an Eizo CG276 (and a V4900 FirePro).

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 5:35 AM   in reply to oliver83

oliver83 wrote:

Actually, the previous answers were only partially correct w.r.t. to displaying 10-bit colors. In contrast to what was said, LR4 (I use version 4.4) supports 10-bit colors, however only in the develop module. The library module does not seem to support it which could be because 1) it really does not support it or 2) the library previews are created with lower color depth or 3) something I haven't considered

I first read this somewhere and then personally verified it with ATI's ramp.psd test file on an Eizo CG276 (and a V4900 FirePro).

The library previews are jpeg (8-bit). 

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,387 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to RuisKukka

RuisKukka wrote:

In respect of 10 bit display pipeline this is very relevant question.

Windows 7 in Aero Basic mode supports 10 bit workflow and assume that Windows 8 as well.

But the software and the rest of the path has to fully support 10 bits for display purposes. Not clear if LR does or doesn't support 10-bit to the display in Develop and since I'm on a Mac and that OS doesn't support 10 bit video, can't check.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points