Skip navigation
wgphoto13
Currently Being Moderated

lightroom 4 color problem

Feb 9, 2013 9:02 PM

Tags: #lightroom4 #problem_color

I imported tiff images into Lightroom 4 that were scanned by DigMyPics.com.  The color  of the images look good on the Windows 7 photo viewer.  It looks horrible in Lightroom 4.  My monitor is callibrated, the import develope setting is set to "none" , the box is unchecked "apply auto tone adjustments".   I think that the windows viewer is showing the accurate color of the scan and LR is not.  I don't think DigMyPics would send this awful color.  What could the issue be?     

Replies
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 12:27 AM   in reply to wgphoto13

Can you describe "horrible"?  Perhaps a brownish tone to them?  If so, that would suggest a corrupted monitor profile.

Also, take one of the photos into Develop, hold down Shift and the Reset button will change to Reset (Adobe).  Press that and see if it helps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 12:58 AM   in reply to wgphoto13

Windows Photo Viewer is fully color managed and does the proper conversion to the monitor profile, just as Lightroom does. So the two should in principle be identical.

But there is one mode where the photo viewer skips the monitor profile, and that's either slideshow or full-screen (can't recall which at the moment). It also happens frequently that a bad monitor profile works in one environment but fails in another. This can be quite unpredictable.

So yes, it's probably the monitor profile. But a screenshot would help.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to wgphoto13

That's too small a screen print to evaluate - could you post a bigger one, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to wgphoto13

Yes, that certainly looks like a problem with the Lightroom rendering. Skin tones and red in general is clearly off, while Windows Photo Viewer looks good.

I'm almost certain this is a problem with the monitor profile. As troubleshooting, try to set sRGB as monitor profile (or Adobe RGB if your monitor is wide gamut), and see if the difference persists. But try to recalibrate first.

What calibrator and what monitor?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to wgphoto13

In your screen shot, you are viewing the photo with Windows Explorer (the program you use for browsing drives, folders, and files), not Windows Photo Viewer, which is a distinct program.

On Windows 7, Windows Explorer ignores any display profile, e.g. one set by your calibrator. Thus, you'd expect that a photo would look differently in Windows Explorer than in LR.

However, Windows 7 Photo Viewer does use the display profile when viewing one photo (but not in its slideshow mode!).  So the photo should like identical in Windows 7 Photo Viewer, LR, and Photoshop CS5.  To open in Windows 7 Photo Viewer, right-click the photo in Windows Explorer and click Open With > Windows Photo Viewer.

So assuming that the photo looks identical in Windows Photo Viewer, LR, and CS5, then the problem is clearly with your display profile, as others have suggested.

Aside: There is a straightforward method to determine authoritatively whether a program is using the display profile. Find the test display profile FakeBRG.icc by Googling it; the profile swaps the red, green, and blue channels for blue, red, and green respectively.  Assign the FakeBRG.icc profile to your display and view the photo in the program -- if the colors looked swapped, then the program is using the profile.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to John R. Ellis

John R. Ellis wrote:

In your screen shot, you are viewing the photo with Windows Explorer (the program you use for browsing drives, folders, and files), not Windows Photo Viewer, which is a distinct program.

Ah, yes, of course, I should have spotted that. Then it's unambiguous, another case of bad monitor profile (that's usually what it is).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points