Skip navigation
loocas
Currently Being Moderated

How to disable LogTransport permanently?

Feb 10, 2013 3:39 AM

Tags: #open #handle #delete #folder_locking #logtransport

Hi, I'm having issues with LogTransport program that keeps on creating handles on folders or files that I open/manipulate with Photoshop CS6 (x64).

When I close photoshop, this program is still running and it still has handles open on those folders etc, so I can't delete the folders or files.

Can I permanently disable this program from runnign? I personally don't need it anyways so it's just another annoying crapware that I never intended to install with PS and that keeps making problems. I can't imagine general users dealing with this all the time.

Thank you in advance, best,

- Lukas

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 10, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to loocas

How is it I've never heard of this before?

Sounds like maybe it could be something that's part of the Adobe Product Improvement Program, which "transports" information about how you use Adobe products back to the mother ship where grays look it over.

In Photoshop, try Help - Product Improvement Program, and opting out.  Let us know if that stops it, since this is just pretty much a guess by me.

Edit:  A search turned up several copies on my system - one in the Bridge installation folder and one in the Photoshop installation folder.  That implies you might have to turn it off in multiple places (assuming it's the culprit).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

LogTransport handles sending crash reports and PIP (product improvement program) data to Adobe's servers.

It should only have pointers to the log files and it's own binary.

And it should exit as soon as it has transmitted the logs (or timed out after a few minutes if the servers are unreachable).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 6:49 PM   in reply to loocas

Again, it can only keep busy the files and folders involved in the data it is reporting, plus it's own binary.

And I've never seen it hang around more than a few minutes.

Of course, force killing it means that it is probably accumulating more data and is going to take longer to send it all.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 11, 2013 5:40 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Let's not forget the possibility it may have become infected with malware.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 11, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to loocas

Don't delete the executable, or you'll end up not being able to successfully apply a Photoshop update in the future.

Disable it via the means I described above.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points