Skip navigation
acker125
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro exporting solutions?

Feb 10, 2013 8:03 AM

Tags: #video #pro #premiere #png #canon #h.264 #exporting #animation #quality #dslr #hd #quicktime

I need desperate help in the realm of exporting...

In a short summary:

I am currently shooting with a 5D Mark III and a 24-70mm

When I shoot, I keep my lighting equal throughout the histogram, I keep a reasonable f-stop to obtain better focus, I use double the shutter speed when shooting at a certain frame-rate, and I keep my ISO at the native.

All of my RAW footage looks fantastic! However once I get it through Premiere Pro and export it, the final product looks like a major decrease in quality.

Here's my usual workflow..

Import RAW files into Premiere Pro with no conversion into ProRes or anything

Create my sequence using "Create Sequence from Clip"

Do all my cuts

Add color correction with "3-Way color corrector" as well as add a subtle Unsharpened Mask.

Then I export from Premiere (Even though Media Encoder final outputs looks exactly the same quality)

Export as:

H.264

Vimeo HD 1080 2.39

And then as I said... quality suffers..

What's an appropriate workflow that will help me achieve better exporting results? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to acker125

You should not expect the quality of a compressed H.264 file

to match the quality of the original media file.

Try exporting to a lossless format for quality comparison

with your original material... any other compressed format

will introduce varying amounts of quality loss.

It might be helpful for you to post 'before & after' images

of the degradation you are seeing in your H.264 encode.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to acker125

as I said... quality suffers..

That's a very subjective and far too general complaint for us to begin to try and correct it.  It might be most expedient if you could upload an original clip and that same clip exported using your normal work flow.  Wrap them up in a ZIP file.

https://www.depositfiles.com/en/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 10:41 AM   in reply to acker125

Well, as joe and Jim have said, it is difficult to help without a little more information. First of all, congratulations on getting the 5D Mark III. I researched it yesterday after a discussion about bit rates. If you are using the all I-Frame setting, you should be getting some very good video, assuming all of the correct composition, lighting, settings, etc.

What I can tell you is that the Vimeo preset uses 5Mb/s whereas the YouTube preset uses 8Mb/s. That can be significant with some footage, and not so much with other footage. So I suppose the first question is: are you using Vimeo?

I have done extensive research on the difference between my camera's video and photographs scaled to the same frame size and the video is not bad. I had the assistance of one of the smartest video guys I know so I am confident of the analysis.

Not great, but not bad. And the problems require about a 300% zoom to really analyze them. But that is not your issue. You want to see your video exported as clean as it was imported. That isn't possible, but you might be able to get closer if you post a few seconds of video that you want to export, and then post the export, along with a screen shot of your settings (unless you are truly using the default). Then we can all try it and see what happens.

You might want to shoot 10 seconds of something with no motion at all. Then 10 seconds of a lot of motion. It would make for a better analysis. Shoot it specifically for this test. Have some text in the shot from a box or a sign, or some other sharp lines.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Please NO Deposite files.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to acker125

It looks fine. The image is plenty sharp enough and I don't see more video noise than I would expect from exporting at only 5Mb/s.

However, it doesn't look like you uploaded a 1920X1080 frame size because if I turn scaling off to make sure I am looking at the proper size and getting the proper quality, It does not take up the full screen.

If you upload a 1920X1080 is will look like this. Play it at full screen on a 1920X1080 monitor with the scaling turned off and it fills the screen.

Perhaps you have scaling turned on? If so, don't do that. Or, export 1920X1080.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to acker125

Its not bad for vimeo but i do find it a bit soft.

I would turn the bitrate quite a bit up.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 1:56 PM   in reply to acker125

I would go for one of the HD presets, but depending the final destination of the clip: pc, media player or ....

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to acker125

Yes, I highly recommend that you create your sequence from the clip. It ensures that everything matches. However, if you drop a clip on a new sequence, Premiere Pro will tell you that they don't match and give you the opportunity to change the sequence settings. You only get that one chance. Either way is fine.

I found this info on the Video uploading page:

Capture.JPG

So, since Vimeo recommends higher than 5Mb/s for 720p and even higher for those of us who pay extra to put 1080p on Vimeo, I might suggest that you use the Vimeo preset and then change the bit rate. Take it to 10Mb/s if you are exporting 720p - and if you are not paying for 1080p then don't export that way. Just export to 720p because then you have the control over how it looks rather than have Vimeo shrink it for you.

I pay extra because I like to play my videos via my Roku on my HDTV. In your case, you will have to make the decision. Is it worth it? Or is 720p good enough. Will people be playing it on 1080p screens and forget to turn scaling off? If so, pay extra. If not, why bother?

Now that I have done this research I have to wonder what Adobe was thinking when they chose 5Mb/s for HD.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to acker125

Let me know what you think as far as quality goes

It'd be more meaningful if we had an original, unedited clip straight from the camera for comparison.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points