Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

HSB Issue, related to prefs file?

Feb 10, 2013 8:16 AM

Tags: #problem #color #mode #hsb

Hi,

I've been migrating from cs5 to 6 and have everything setup as I like it, mostly.

My issue is with gradients and their color mode. Previously, in cs5, the color mode stayed on HSB, now I have to select HSB because for some reason cs6 defaults to RGB every single time and it's driving me insane.

Now I've done some experiments and if I delete my prefs file from CS5 I can replicate this annoying behaviour, once the prefs file is reinstated the color mode stays on HSB.

I tried copying the prefs file over to the cs6 folder but that doesn't solve the issue.

I'm trying to pin down whether it's because the gradients were created in cs5 that they work in cs5 but I'm starting to pull my hair out here.

I've read everything on this forum related to the issue and googled till my eyes didn't work. I've spent a lot of time on this now and need some help.

I've seen plenty of people say it isn't possible to keep the mode on HSB but that isn't my experience, I somehow managed to achieve it before and need to replicate it because I simply can't be doing with have to change the color mode every time I need to change a color.

I'm sure if you multiplied all those additonal seconds across all the users it would equal thousands of hours, it's just wasting everyone's time.

I'm really hoping you can help.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 11:38 PM   in reply to hoobah645

Oh man, I feel your pain.

I don't know if this will help, but I seem to be able to stay in HSB mode "almost" all the time. I'm in CS6, and have done nothing special with prefs. Maybe it's because I make one small object, color it in HSB, then that becomes my "default" color. I simply draw new shape, and change the already-HSB color.

With gradients, yes, the default is white-to-black. Here, they both come up as Grayscale mode, which sucks, but once you choose HSB for each, the additional colors and changes are all HSB.

Maybe the secret to always having HSB your color mode when working with gradients is to do the same as with solids: make one small 2-color gradient with HSB, draw your new shape, and use the eyedropper tool to copy the 2-color-HSB-Mode gradient, before changing/adding new colors (all conveniently in HSB).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 11:44 PM   in reply to hoobah645

Sorry, you're incorrect if you think the Color Panel stayed set on HSB in CS5. It doesn't. All Illustrator versions have hte "resetting" color panel and will always jump back tot he document color mode repeatedly. There's no internal mechanism to keep teh Color Panel stuck on one option, such as HSB. There never has been. It's been requested as a feature for quote a few years.

Untill you can show me EXACTLY how to get the Color Panel to stick to HSB in any AI version (CS4 or newer) then I'm going to have to believe you're simply not remembering things the way they actually operate.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 12:11 AM   in reply to [scott w]

What can I say? It works fine here (CS6, not CS5), with solids, strokes, and gradients, as I described in my previous post. I'm doing it right this minute in AI CS6. If you want to know "EXACTLY" how, please read my previous post and try it yourself.

If you can't make it work, maybe I can do a screen-video for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to DrStrik9

Nope. It remains set on HSB for a period of time. But once you do some other operation the panel jumps back to the document color mode. It doesn't stay set on HSB. It may remain on HSB for a period, but it will change. This is espcially true if working with gradients. If the panel is set to HSB, you have a gradient filled object selected... add a new color stop to the gradient - panel is then reset to the document color mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 12:58 AM   in reply to [scott w]

That isn't happening here. I've made thirty+ new gradients, all in HSB, with no color-mode changes. Can you say exactly what other operations cause the color mode to change from HSB? (I'm working in an RGB document -- I've never tried to use HSB in a CMYK document, and can't imagine I ever would.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 1:01 AM   in reply to DrStrik9

Mac v16.0.4

New RGB doc (using Basic RGB document profile)...

Draw a rectangle...

Set Color Panel to HSB....

Click the default gradient on the Gradient panel....

Click to add a new stop in the middle of the gradient on the Gradient Panel... BAM! Color panel is back to RGB.

If you say your version of AI doesn't do that.. then I'd have to guess youre' either using Windows which may behave differently than my Mac version. Or.... well........ I don't know. This has been the same behavior in AI for as long as I can remember.. clear back to whenever the HSB mode was introduced. It certainly is the same for CS3-CS6 which I have installed currently.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 1:34 AM   in reply to DrStrik9

I've tried just about everything (all the tools, masks, compounds, type, filters, etc.) and unless I open an old document where a color was originally specified as grayscale, HSB is staying present, even in old documents. Gradients also pose no problems or issues, always staying in HSB, while moving all around the tools, doing a full spectrum of regular work. Even swatches remain in HSB, if originally made in HSB. I dunno. Maybe if I go get some sleep now and leave ai running, RGB will sneak in and assert itself in the night like the goblins that appear and make shoes for the cobbler in children's books.  :+)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 1:56 AM   in reply to DrStrik9

Well, the default gradient has to be changed from grayscale to HSB on both black and white (as in my original post). Do a small gradient box this way (converting those two nodes to HSB) and move it outside the artboard. Then for new gradients, just use the eydropper tool to get the small sample (HSB) gradient, instead of using the default, or better yet, highlight an existing HSB gradient, and make a new one, changing/adding new colors, all WITHOUT HSB going away. Works like a charm.

Maybe the geniuses at Adobe fixed the problem in Mac v16.2.1 -- but as I understand it, you need Creative Cloud to get this version. Until now, I didn't suspect there were differences between the latest versions of Creative Cloud and non-CC. But with your staunch insistance that it doesn't work for you, now I'm beginning to wonder.

Now if you only need to make ONE gradient in a long series of NEW documents, you might still have the problem of having to convert the default gradient (grayscale) nodes to HSB, and be back to square one. I haven't tried it yet, but it would seem to me that you could just leave one "sample" HSB gradient open in a small window, and use that to make new gradients in new documents, without ever getting ejected from HSB.

Sorry if the older AI versions don't work this way yet. Creative Cloud, baby.  :+)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 2:01 AM   in reply to DrStrik9

version 16.0.4 is the same as version 16.4.0 without the monthly fee and new features. The color panel is not a new feature and has not been altered as far as I'm aware.

Sorry, I just do not believe you are seeing what you state you are seeing. My experience has shown me the exact opposite for many years.

I provided exact steps to see the annoying behavior. You've conveniently failed to respond to those exact steps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 3:49 AM   in reply to [scott w]

I've given the OP several simple things to do to keep the color model in HSB. I responded specifically to your "exact steps," with a very simple workaround, which you "do not believe." If you're not willing to read my posts and try the exact things I suggest, then there is nothing more to say. Have a nice day.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to hoobah645

OK I see what you're experiencing now. Double-clicking on the HSB gradient node does indeed bring up a color picker that is set to RGB.  DOH!

This doesn't happen for me, since I use two monitors, and keep a majority of the tools open on the second monitor at all times. Instead of double-clicking on a gradient node, I simply select the node and use the (already open) color panel to make my adjustments/additions, which remain in HSB once they are initially changed from default (on a new boot of AI) from grayscale. With your workflow, I agree Adobe needs to address keeping color models (in art and swatches) as originally specified, especially for people (almost everyone it seems) who work with only one monitor.

Just speculating here: HSB is "just" another way to present RGB. In my experience, it isn't as accurate as RGB, but gets one "very close" to what can be achieved when working in RGB instead of HSB. In this sense (still speculating) HSB is being seen by the software as a "derivative" or "expression" of RGB. So when a new color panel is opened, it would "naturally" defer to the base color-mode, RGB. I imagine addressing this problem, to allow the 1-monitor user to work in a derivative of RGB might be a huge challenge, affecting all areas of the software that deal with color.

Ever since I began working with two monitors, many of these issues simply don't affect me. BTW, I have the same success using HSB in CS5 as I do in CS6, so my earlier guess that it was the Creative Cloud version that was allowing me to remain in HSB was thankfully wrong. It's the second monitor, allowing me to keep the tools open at all times.

Now if Adobe would just add HSB to InDesign! ... it's always something. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points