Skip navigation
wrayand
Currently Being Moderated

Any advice for tracing this image or better way to create a vector?

Feb 10, 2013 10:28 AM

Tags: #vector #live_trace #tracing_options

Still learning the ropes of vector, and I thought this would be a fairly simple image to create a vector of.  I performed the default live trace and did not get a desirable result, then tried to tweek tracing options but no matter how i work it, the object comes out looking awful.  The closest I can get it to the original is a very pixelated look when the threshold is set to 1 (again played around with many options).  Unfortunately I do not have a tablet with pen where i could more adequately trace.  Any suggestions/help?

LOGO_newbys_big.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to wrayand

This is really candidate for redrawing, not tracing. With tracing, there will still be cleanup and altering the result.

The trace below is using 6 colors, pretty much the default settings.

Mike

LOGO_newbys_big.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 11:24 PM   in reply to MW Design

Redrawing yes, but it's mostly type on curves, and a few standard shapes (circles, star). If you have the typeface, it should be quick and easy. If not, maybe find out what face it is exactly and buy it. Then you get to learn about type on a path.  :+)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to wrayand

Not sure if you still need the help, but here is what you should do. 

Open the image in Photoshop.  Make it a complete black and white.  Enlarge the image - > save an alpha version.  Basically you want 2 images, Black & White and the other Black & White, but inverted.  Then, bring in the new large black and whtie into illustrator by placing it.  Select Image Trace and choose any of them that yields the best result.  You will then need to do the same for the other image to get a cleaner shape.  Put them together correctly and you got your graphic.  You may succeed with one image sometimes.

You will still need to run pathfinder and clean up your paths.  Adjust the black and white into color and done.

Credibility - tradeshow design/printing involves fixing a lot of bad logos from various clients and customers who do not have vector versions for scaling.

I have attached a EPS version of it for you in black and white.  =)

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/424105/Logo_AForums.eps

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points