Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How well does MS Surface Pro 64 or 128 gb run Photoshop CSanyversion?

Feb 10, 2013 2:59 PM

Tags: #mssurfacepro #surfacepro64bit #surfacepro128bit

So far I have seen that the pressure senstivity is an issue. Anybody out there have any thing to offer. I am trying to decide if it matters to have the 64 or 128 gb versions. Its an ssd drive, Will there be a performance issue if the main drive on the OS is 50 or 3/4s of th way full. Even if you did make room, couldnt you install CS6 on the main ssd and other apps on the microSD or even a 3.0 32gb USB???? Just some ideas there. Either way, I just wanted to read some mags or books and run a CS version. So, will a 64 or 128 really matter in terms of performance for the CS app?????????

Anyone who has info it would be a great help to alot of us. Even if Adobe thought it would be beneficial to mk a version for tablets, it could be a game changer altogether.

Hope to hear something soon.

Thanks, All!!!!!

If I get one, I will let you know,But the sensitivity is the major key for sure. I could get by other art apps but prefer Photoshop for painting and coloring comics, etc.,.....

Take care,

JRocco

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,002 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 10, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to Joey Rocco

I have seen no information on the surfaces specs as to wether it has a digitizer or what hardware is used in it.  I know the some laptop's use N-tig devices or something like that and they do not work with Photoshop. I know Wacom sell a display that has a digitizer and is also a touch screen when the Pen nears the screen touch is disabled.  I have a hunch that many may find themselves disappointed if they find the need to attach a wacom tablet to their surface.  I feel this may be a real possibility.  I see no reason PS will not work if there is a good windows 8 video driver.  I have seen PS users having issues with Win8.  PS is known to run on win 8.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 12:23 AM   in reply to Joey Rocco

Many other apps that use pressure information are also failing on surface pro.

There is something missing/broken in the drivers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to Joey Rocco

The Surface Pro does use Wacom hardware, but not Wacom drivers.  Microsoft needs to add the Wintab APIs to their drivers in order to get pressure sensitive support in all of the other older graphics programs that don't use the newer APIs.  They are working on it however and should hopefully release updated drivers someday.  Optionally, Adobe can update their software to interact with the newer APIs, although I think they don't want to do that since it would risk breaking the existing support I'm guessing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to Joey Rocco

I hate to ask the obvious, but does even the maxed-out version have even close to enough resources to run Photoshop meaningfully?  How much free space is available once the OS and applications are loaded when the internal SSD has only 128 GB total?  Around here we're fond of advising people to keep a couple hundred gigabytes of storage available for Photsohop scratch space alone.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Question on SSD and free space.  The old advice was you should have 20% of the hard drive as free space.  Now bigger drives believe 10% is recommended. 

What about a SSD.  Saw one blog where they recommend larger free space to allow for wear leveling and write amplification.  So if you have a 128g SSD that could work out to having about 105 gig usable?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes, it runs Photoshop very well (depending on how much heavy lifting you need).  I've been using it on the subway and at Fashion Week with my 16 megapixel RAW photos to do some quick retouching.  I've got all of my programs installed plus 14Gb of 1080p video clips and there's still 50Gb free on the SSD. I've also got a high speed 64Gb MicroSD card for the RAW stills, and offload to a network share occasionally.

Here's a video that includes a Photoshop benchmark: http://pocketnow.com/2013/02/13/surface-pro-performance

Adobe doesn't support the high pixel density nor DPI scaling (in anything besides InDesign) so all the buttons are rediculously tiny. I change the screen resolution to make it usable when needed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points