Skip navigation
GiffRansom
Currently Being Moderated

Pen and Touch with the new Surface Pro?

Feb 10, 2013 1:56 PM

Tags: #touch #pen_pressure #pan_and_zoom #surfacepro

Right now Photoshop doesn't support pen pressure or multi touch pan and zoom on the new Surface Pro - an otherwise amazing machine. It will break my heart to do so, but I'll need to return the device in 14 days if this functionality isn't there. It's essential for digital art. Is there any way of knowing whether pen and touch support is forthcoming? My clock is ticking.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to GiffRansom

If the tablet driver works correctly, Photoshop would support it.

Is your tablet device made by Wacom, or one of the knockoff brands?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 9:06 PM   in reply to GiffRansom

To my knowledge(which isn't much on this subject) Touch screen on the Surface Pro does not require wacom drivers or any drivers. As of Windows 7 and higher touch screen is suppose to be part of the .net library. As it is required for their phones.

But I have not worked with that technology and therefore could easily be wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 10:47 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

If the tablet driver works correctly, Photoshop would support it.

Well through some dark magic ArtRage and Sketbook Pro and every other sketching app support pressure perfectly.  Being the odd duck out it would appear Photoshop is broken.  Fix your own house before pointing fingers.   You're going to get a lot of Photoshop license returns in the next couple weeks if you don't fix Photoshop's tablet support.  

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 12:25 AM   in reply to im.thatoneguy

Not all other apps that use pressure are working.

There is something missing or broken in the driver.

The variables that changed are the OS and the drivers, and those are the most likely suspects for problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 12:13 PM   in reply to GiffRansom

The Ink API still has serious problems that we have not been able to work around.

Microsoft is aware of the problems in their driver software.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Is there any chance of getting detailed information on what's not working?

If it's not proprietary corporate secrets, then knowing exactly what's wrong with the Ink API would allow us to complain to Microsoft.

If enough consumers know about a problem, they can start voting with their dollars and their complaints. So please, can you share any knowledge Adobe has on the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to TkIMO

No, we can't share much.  The problems are pretty low level with the event handling (and I don't even understand all the issues).  But we have logged the issues with Microsoft, and are trying to work with Microsoft to get the issues addressed (fixed or a solid workaround).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

do you have anything news for us about this issues.. i am so dissapointed about surface right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to jasonheniz10

Jason, try Autodesk Sketchbook Pro 6 on your Surface Pro (free trial available to download).  It supports pressure sensitive drawing beautifully on both older Wacom graphics tablets and the Surface Pro (meaning it recognizes both API sets, I guess). It also opens and saves layered PSD files so that you can transfer drawings between the two programs.

You can also Tweet to @Surface and @panos_panay to tell them that you want the Surface Pro to support Wintab APIs so that the stylus will have pressure sensitivity in all other graphics programs.  They've already announced that they're working on it, but expressing your interest wouldn't hurt.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to AdamZ1977

i do ask them by twitter but they never answer my question..some of my friend also tweet them and it's happen sam with me. i may return that and buy the samsung ativ 700t

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 8:20 PM   in reply to GiffRansom

I imagine touch is exclusively through the windows API.  Adobe would need to add windows multi-touch.   Even the normal abstraction of "Scroll wheel" doesn't register in PS as zoom.   If I had to guess I would guess that Windows is saying "Mouse Scroll up" "Mouse Scroll Down" and Photoshop is just ignoring it since that hotkey isn't tied to anything.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to GiffRansom

Yeah Adobe has to add multitouch support. By the way, Corel Painter 12 now works beautifully on the Surface Pro (with the Wacom drivers) AND it supports multitouch pan/zooming with your fingers. It's really great!

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to Adamz197777

OH WAIT!  Multi-touch zooming does work!!  You have to go to Preferences > General and turn on "Zoom with Scroll Wheel".  Then multi-touch pinch zooming will work.  Don't try to pan the image though, that will make it disappear.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points