Skip navigation
s0crates22
Currently Being Moderated

having problems disguising a cameramans reflection in video

Feb 10, 2013 3:56 PM

Hi everybody. This is my first post and I have a little problem.

I know this isn't that hard (that is what makes it so frustrating)

I've watched a dozen tutorials on the subject before finally caving in and asking for help.

I need to edit out the camera mans reflection out of a shot. So far I've:

1 - gone into Photoshop and edited a still of the video.  using healing tool I edited it to my satisfaction

2 - imported the file into AE (both jpeg and psd)

I've been able to layer them together and use the mask tool and it looks good, until my Subjects ARM moves and the edited reflection APPEARS IN FRONT OF MY SUBJECT (not hidden behind her in the background)

I just can't figure it out.

So, in short, I need to figure out a way so my subject can move in front of the edited reflection in the background without the edited selection APPEARING IN FRONT of my subject.

Sorry if this is confusing...

Thank you in advance

Brandon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to s0crates22

Are you able to post a frame of the offending footage?  It will be much easier to diagnose the problem if we could see it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to s0crates22

How much freedom do you have to make major changes?

A couple of suggestions, just to get some ideas out there:

- Create a relatively tight matte around the women and use the Camera Lens Blur effect to blur the whole background a bit.

- Or place an explanatory graphic or picture-in-picture insert on the right side of the screen, covering the problem area.

These kinds of crude changes can be easier than painstaking use of the Clone Stamp tool or other approaches.

One subtle approach is to create a feathered mask around the camera man reflection and decrease saturation just there. If the blue if the shirt is desaturated, he'll blend in much better.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to s0crates22

I don't see anything that an animated mask couldn't take care of. It may just require some pre-composing and of course it's gonna take some time, but the footage is well lit and the background not too contrasty, so even some minor inaccuracies won't be that much of a problem and barely show up...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to s0crates22

if I create a feathered mask around the reflection and decrease saturation, will that EDIT POP OUT when her arm moves in front of it?

Yes it will.  You'll need to duplicate the layer, remove the blur effect and the mask, put it above the repaired image, and isolate the unblurred arm as it moves.  AE's Rotobrush will help a lot, but look at the Rotobrush tutorials first before you try to use it: the tool isn't the most intuitive thing on the planet.  You can trim this duplicated layer's in & out points so it doesn't cover up your other work.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to s0crates22

Care to reveal how you did it?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to s0crates22

The tedium you avoided is known as "rotoscoping".  And it is tedious, painstaking and time-consuming.  People pay top dollar for the services of a good roto artist, and now you know why.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points