Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CMYK Printing question adding 5percent to the other non 100percent color channel?

Feb 10, 2013 4:18 PM

Hi all,

My printer told me to add 5% C 5% M and 5%Y to my 100%k channels as without it I can see the black comes out a little/touch fury on things like small thin text.

Is this the same on all other colors too? Eg. say 100% Cyan color, should I add 5% M, Y and K?

Any help would or insights would be great

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to complexity

I guess not , What your printer trying to do is making the Black as Rich Black because of which he is asking you to add C, M ,and Y in it.

100K black is a flat black with a dullness however because of these extra color a brillance get added to it.

http://www.thegraphicmac.com/printing-black-vs-rich-black

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to complexity

the printer is not looking for a rich black. by spec'ing only 5% in the cmy channels, he is wanting for small text to  blend into the other, surrounding color .

mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to complexity

There must be some missing information here. If you have small thin text, you DO NOT want any other color mixed in with the black because those colors could peek out if there is any mis-registration on press. That would cause the text to look even furrier, not less. Also, at thin, small sizes the type will not easily show that black ink is not so black.

If there is color surrounding the text, the thing to do is simply overprint the black text onto the color, not mix tiny amounts of color into a custom black ink swatch.

How are you printing this? ie what kind of press?

To answer your question though, no, there is no reason to add any small percentages into your other colors. That will simply make them slightly less bright and clean.

Hope this helps,

Michael

http://www.learnadobesoftware.com

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 6:33 PM   in reply to complexity

I'm still not clear on why you need to add color to gray text. It too would look its best as a clean shade of black. I'd check your gray and see if it is already a colored gray.

A desktop printer is not color accurate for press work. Send your files to your press house and ask for a proof. They usually insist on one anyway, a contract proof that you sign off on before going to press.

Michael

http://www.learnadobesoftware.com

Sent from my iPad

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2013 11:14 PM   in reply to Michael Riordan

I think he said his job is being printed on a digital press. Registration is not typically a problem, as opposed to offset. Still, requesting a proof is a good idea. Depending on the size of his gray text, adding small amounts of other colors can stabilize the edges of the type, depending on screen type (hopefully stochastic) but this would definitely not be recommended for an offset press.

If it was being printed offset, gray type should be an additional color.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points