Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Resizeable Presentation Setup for Video and 3D

Feb 10, 2013 5:23 PM

Tags: #resizeable #presentations

I want to be able to have a slide show that integrates still images, text, video and 3D. I use InDesign but it is pretty constraining. PowePoint and the like have similar constraints.

I can assemble a simple presentation in Flash with video integrated, etc.  but it is usually impossible to predict the resolution of the projector I will be using. Hence my question:

How can I build a Flash presentation template that I shall be able to conveniently reuse and that will be resizeable?

Option 1. Is it possible to make Flash to scale the stage and all content proportionately, like PowerPoint or Acrobat can do (with black areas if the screen ratios are different)?

Option 2. What is the reasonable path for making resizeable/edjustable content? I looked at this (starling + feathers)

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/designing-multidevice-multi resolution.edu.html

I like the use of Stage 3D but these frameworks do not seem like a good match. It is slow to modify the content (I need to be making new presentation reguraly) and I shall not be using most of the functionality. It could work if I build several types of pages and reuse them maybe but I suspect a simpler way should exist.

Thank you for pointers and advice,

Maya

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to ashdflkjh

This function will get you far:

function goScaledFullScreen()

{

var screenRectangle:Rectangle = new Rectangle(0,0,stage.stageWidth,stage.stageHeight);

stage.fullScreenSourceRect = screenRectangle;

stage.displayState = StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN;

stage.quality = StageQuality.BEST;

}

Independent of your actual monitor resoulution it will scale up any content you might load via loader to the full screen resolution.

It has its limits though: On a Mobile device it won`t reorganize the content if you rotate the device from Landscape to Portrait. Also if you have content that is off-stage you might have to employ masks if the Monitors aspect ratio differs from your presentation one`s.

You can use the Capabilities class to get the actual ResolutionX/ResolutionY of the device that runs your presentation.

You might want to somehow inform your presentation if the resolution gets changed via the Resize Event

If size is not an issue you might prepare your presentation in the best Quality possible (for example HD) because downsizing works in general much better (qualitywise) than upsizing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 4:27 AM   in reply to ashdflkjh

If you load images via a loader you should have function that scales the externally loaded pictures dependent on your stageSize.

this could be the function that listens to your Event.Complete:

function imageLoaded(e:Event):void {

var bit:Bitmap = e.target.content;

if(bit != null)

bit.smoothing = true;

centerMaximized(imageLoader);

}

and center maximized could look like this:

function centerMaximized(dO:DisplayObject):void {

var scalefactorW:Number=(stage.stageWidth-framesize)/dO.width;

var scalefactorH:Number=(stage.stageHeight-framesize)/dO.height;

if (scalefactorW<scalefactorH) {

dO.scaleX=dO.scaleY=scalefactorW;

} else {

dO.scaleX=dO.scaleY=scalefactorH;

}

dO.x = (stage.stageWidth-dO.width)*.5;

dO.y = (stage.stageHeight-dO.height)*.5;

}

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to ashdflkjh

You can directly enable bitmap.smooothing for all your pictures in the Library (right-click>Properties)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to ashdflkjh

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers