Skip navigation
JoelMe
Currently Being Moderated

How cut away transparent areas of an image? (PS El 10)

Feb 10, 2013 6:33 PM

Tags: #transparent #png #premiere_elements_10 #elements_10

I need to cut out an image from a transparent background. Is there a way to do that with Photoshop Elements 10?

In other words, I have an image (say a face) that is on a rectangular background that is transparent. I need to cut away all the transparent area so there is NO background, just the face, and an irregular shaped image. Is that possible with Photoshop?

This is for inserting the image in another program (SketchUp) which does not always allow transparency.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 1:25 AM   in reply to JoelMe

You can crop the photo, but since pixels are square, unless the area conforms to a rectangle or square, you'll still have some the transparency showing on either of the sides.

(can't crop half a pixel)

You said sketch up does not always support transparency, but are there certain file formats that it does support transparency in?

You could also put a new layer behind (below) the cutout and fill that with whatever color you might need to match the sketchup document background.

The two most common file formats that support transparency in photoshop elements that other applications can read are png and tif.

Jpeg's don't support transparency.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to JoelMe

I'm not that familar with SketchUp, but what happens in SketchUp when you insert a file with transparency such as tif or png?

Do you know if SketchUp recognizes Alpha channels?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points