Skip navigation
SuzScriv52
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge Folder Names Missing

Feb 10, 2013 5:58 PM

A very strange problem:  Many of my file folders suddenly lost their file names.  There appears to be no rhyme or reason as to why some are missing, while others are not. 

Although the photo below shows only a few missing, a significant number of the subfolders002-copy.jpg lost their file names.  Also, the folder names suddenly transformed into black labels, which I don't really like, although I can live with that.  I tried to simply rename the folder for those that are missing names, but that option isn't available, as it usually is.  I'm not sure what caused this, although it happened while I thought I was working in Photoshop (when I was actually still in Bridge) and may have inadvertantly hit a key on my keyboard that caused this to occur.  Here's what I've tried thus far (besides swearing):  shut down my computer, restarted everything, tried to reset the preferences to the default (although everything I tried, e.g., holding down the Ctrl key as soon as Bridge is opening, also tried the Ctrl, Alt, Shift keys -- neither method gave me the reset window that's supposed to pop up), also purged my cache.  None of these attempts have resolved the problem.  Does anyone have any other recommendations?

I use Photoshop CS5 and Windows 7 and have installed the most current updates. 

Thanks,

Suzanne

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2013 7:15 PM   in reply to SuzScriv52

In View do you have thumbnails checked?

To reset preferences in Bridge hold down the Ctrl key THEN start Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to SuzScriv52

I chose to reset the preferences, and voila!  All of my folders now have names, and that odd black label is removed.

It seems you have set the option to View Only thumbnails set to on (menu view, you probably accidentally have hit the control + T key command that is the shortcut for this). This brings filenames, ratings and other info out of view and put's those labels over the folders. The folders that have no name have a folder name that is to long to fit on the thumb.

Just test yourself by hitting ctrl + T and again or check the menu view. You are not the first one that had this accidentally happen and you certainly aren't the last

Of course, now I have to re-set  my favorites and customize my workspace, but that's a small price to pay to be able to see all the folder names now.

This is not a bad thing, it keeps you sharp, knowing what options there are and what you might want to change. BTW, you only need to reset custom colors for the window, using the reset workspace button does what it says it does (That is if you have saved those custom workspaces), except for the User interface colors.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points