Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cs3 problem installing on Macbook Air

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tring to install my copy of CS3 onto a new Macbook Air running OS X 10.8.2

I get this error message soon after starting the install.

"Setup has encountered an error and cannot continue. Contact Adobe Customer Support for assistance".

I have tried to install from the DVD via Air Disc. I copied the DVD to a memory stick and tried to install that way too. Same error both times.

I called Adobe help and they said that they couldn't offer advice as the software was too old. The guy did recommend trying to install under a new user account. Same error message again.

I don't want to have to buy a new version that I don't really need. Has anyone got any ideas or advice.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne van Wijk

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Please stop copying the install files from one computer to another.  The issues you are currently experiencing is primarily caused by the use of the Migration Assistant you posted in message #3.

I would recommend you try the following steps:

1. Run the uninstallers which may be available in Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers.
  2. Run the CS Cleaner tool to verify the required files have been removed - CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might never work and simply be a compatibility issue. Short of enabling the root user to bypass all security measure I can't think of much:

Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link - I think that I will pass on this as I am scared of breaking something. I may come back to it if all else fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CS3 with MacOSX 10.8.2 with no problems at all (which is more than can be said for my previous system under Tiger).

CS4 has problems with Adobe Air, which I've never installed on my system, so if you have it installed it might be worth uninstalling and seeing if that helps. Also run the Adobe uninstaller again before you try reinstalling.

I installed my CS3 with MacOSX 10.8.1 and then updated to 10.8.2 but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I'm also using a desktop iMac rather than a MacBook.

Under Tiger, CS3 used to suddenly quit and there were display issues with some dialogue boxes but all of these problems have stopped since I've been using Mountain Lion so I'm very pleased with the result so I don't think there can be any basic compatibility issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies so far. I am glad that you have CS3 running. Hopefully I will be there soon too.

Some more of the back story for posterity...

I originaly brought CS3 to the MBA via migration assistant. The software wouldn't open with a message saying something along the lines of reinstall the software; which is what I am having trouble doing (managed to delete the files OK though).

I am going to try a work around that may not work. I am reinstalling the software onto my old macbook pro running os x10.7.5. Then I will drag all of the folders over to the new machine and try again. I will post the results of this experiment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I reinstalled CS3 on the old macbook and copied the files from it's Application folder to the Application folder on the new MBA. When trying to open any of the applications I get this error message "Licensing for this product has stopped working. You cannot use this product at this time. You must repair the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling this product or contacting your IT administrator or Adobe customer support for help."

This is getting frustrating - are there any hidden files that I may need to bring across from the old mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please stop copying the install files from one computer to another.  The issues you are currently experiencing is primarily caused by the use of the Migration Assistant you posted in message #3.

I would recommend you try the following steps:

1. Run the uninstallers which may be available in Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers.
  2. Run the CS Cleaner tool to verify the required files have been removed - CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html.
  3. Reinstall from the installation files copied to a USB drive using a computer which does have an optical drive.

If you continue to face difficulties then the most expedient option would be to format, run the Migration Assistant only for documents and settings, and then reinstall from the USB drive.  I have seen users spend hours and days trying to recover from the use of the Migration Assistant or some type of transfer solution from one computer to another.  Our applications function best if they are installed cleanly from the installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much Jeff.

I managed to reinstall the software by using the installers as you suggested. I was having little success doing it from a usb drive but managed to do the install by using another mac with a DVD drive using air disk - not by mouting the disk in finder, but by double clicking the icon on the mac desktop. Not sure why this made a difference but it did.

Regardless, I now have CS3 up and running. Thanks again to all of you who offered support and advice.,

Wayne.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines