Skip navigation
truegenius
Currently Being Moderated

Audio Clips In Premiere Elements 11 Fine For 10 Seconds, Then Volume Fades - Why?

Feb 11, 2013 12:53 AM

Tags: #fade #audio #soft #loud #mixer #seconds #gain #audio_quality #inaudible #audio_gain #audio_mixer

Here's the short version of this question, first: I have imported HD video into a Premiere Elements 11 project running about 90 minutes. I have removed various clips from the video to cut it down to about 60 minutes, and then rendered the remaining video as a Blu-Ray disc.  The video looks flawless.  But for each of the 11 video clips, the audio plays at full volume for about 8 to 10 seconds, and then gets dramatically quieter.  Background noises, though, remain fairly at the same volume.  I have tried various tools within PE11 - including fidgeting with Audio Gain, the Audio Mixer, and keyframes, without success, so I'm hoping someone here will know the answer.

Now for the details as recommended by the forum's administrator:

1. The System

Here are the specs on the system I'm currently running (sorry if it's overkill):

Computer Model Inspiron 660

BIOS Vendor Dell Inc.

BIOS Version DELL - 1072009

BIOS Date 07-26-12

Window Version Microsoft Windows 8 Pro

Processor

Manufacture Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz

Clock Speed 3.0GHz

L2 Cache Size 1024

Memory

Available Memory 62.78%

Page File Size 8192.0MB

Available Page File 98.24%

Virtual Memory 16258.0MB

Available Virtual Memory 77.41%

Memory Slot1 [DIMM_A]

Memory Slot2 [DIMM_B]

Network Card

Adaptor Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Storage

Drive Type Drive Size Total Available Space Used Space

C:NTFS 923.81Gb 668.93Gb 254.88Gb

H:NTFS  931.51Gb 424.58Gb 506.94Gb

J:NTFS   698.64Gb 33.78Gb 664.85Gb

Hardware

(Type, Description)

DVD/CD-ROM: Drives CD-ROM Drive CD-ROM Drive

Disk Drives: WDC WD10EALX-759BA1 Generic- Multi-Card USB Device TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 USB Device

Display Adapters: Intel(R) HD Graphics 2112MB

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Sound Devices: Conexant SmartAudio HD Intel(R) Display Audio

USB Controllers: Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D

Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26

NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller

2. Assets

This started with one large HD MPEG-2 video file, 9.63 GB, running 94 minutes in length (1:34'12").  HD resolution is 1920x1080 (full HD).  Video data rate is 15,454 kB/s, total bit rate is 15,838 kB/s.  Frame rate, according to Windows' file manager, is 29 fps.  Audio bit rate is 384 kB/s over 6 channels with an audio sample rate of 48 hHz.

This single file was split into 11 clips, each having the same basic characteristics as the original (length of each clip is the only difference).

There are no other assets in this project (no titles, no other layers or tracks above/below).  It is just this single video clip.

3. The Project

The project was created in Expert mode, using the time line, the time bar controller (the turquoise slider control), the scope marker (which indicates how much of the project is visible at any one time), and the Scissor tool (to remove unwanted video footage). 

The duration of the timeline is 94 minutes, and there are 11 clips of varying lengths end to end.

4. Workflow

The process for creating this project was as follows:

a) Import the single asset (as described in section 2 above).

b) Use the Scissor tool to remove 10 sections of video from the original file, leaving 11 separate clips.

c) Create the main and chapters menus using the Menu Maker.  (Two 1920x1080 static bitmaps were imported to customize the layout, and I changed several fonts as well.)

d) Render the final video to DVD and/or Blu-Ray.

Upon seeing there was the issue with the sound fading approximately 10 seconds into each clip, I tried the following:

e) Adjusting the Audio Gain on each and every one of the 11 clips, re-rendering and reburning the disc.  Results were the same.

f) Adjusting the Audio Mixer for the entire project, re-rendering and reburning the disc.  Results were the same.

g) Adding a keyframe to the first clip, and dragging the yellow volume line higher after that inserted keyframe, then re-rendering and reburning.  Results were the same.

I'm hoping there is some feature or adjustment tool I'm overlooking but I have scoured the entire software (I myself am a software developer and know about testing software) but did not find anything suggesting what may remedy this issue.  Has anyone else experienced this?  What other options do I have regarding such audio problems?

Many Thanks!

Charles Tatum

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to truegenius

I know of no reason your audio would reduce and background audio would get louder. Premiere Elements isn't capable of doing that.

In same cases audio will quit completely partway into a clip. This is because the program has not fully conformed the audio file. But this is definitely not the case here.

You've given lots of detailed information, but the one thing I don't see is what model of camcorder your video came from and how you got the video from this camcorder to your computer. That could be relevant. (I assume the change in audio is not on the original footage.)

You can also post a screen capture of a segment of the timeline where this change in audio occurs.

But, given your description, this really does not seem to be a software issue -- or anything we can help you with. We'll give it a try though.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to truegenius

Have you been able to play the originally captured clip outside of PRE? Was the volume level consistent then?

It would be useful to see the output of an analysis of your source clip with GSpot or MediaInfo to see what audio data is in the file.

Could you try a project using a camcorder clip to see if that works correctly in PRE.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to truegenius

>Okay, Adobe team

This is a user to user forum, with the space provided by Adobe for users to discuss Premiere Elements

If you want to talk to someone from Adobe support, you will need to use a different path

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

In the US - Adobe General support 800-833-6687 M-F 5am-7pm Pacific

In the US - Adobe Install Problems 800-642-3623

In the US - Adobe Activation 866-772-3623 Open 24/7 as far as I know

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers