Skip navigation
lloydwells
Currently Being Moderated

Default Font Size Options AI CS6

Feb 11, 2013 7:24 AM

Tags: #illustrator #font #size #text #default #tool #type #cs6 #font_size

I use a couple of large font sizes (above 72pt) very frequently (ie 172pt), and would like to know if there is a way to add those to the default drop down selections in Illustrator?

Thanks in advance!

Lloyd

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to lloydwells

By "drop down selections," I assume you mean Menu>Type>Font, to select the standard type sizes from the old days of typography. (I never use this.)

A quick way to set selected text to 172 (or any other) point size would be to use the Character Panel (command-T on Mac) and manually change the type size field. Unfortunately, with text selected, simply opening the character panel doesn't highlight the first field, so attempting to tab through the character fields will simply replace your selected text with a "tab" character.  So we're forced to manually change the fields. As far as I know, this is the fastest way to get from the default text size to 172 pt.

In Prefs, you can also change the size/leading increments when using keyboard shortcuts for type.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to lloydwells

It's not precisely what you want, but darn close would be to create a character or paragraph style where the only variable is the point size of the type. Then you'd just neeed to click that style to format your text. Here's some pics. I used a character style assuming you might have other text that should not have the big size. If that's not the case I'd use a paragraph style to make it just a hair easier.

Screen Shot 2013-02-11 at 12.59.55 PM.pngItScreen Shot 2013-02-11 at 1.01.25 PM.png

Hope that helps

Michael Riordan

http://www.learnadobesoftware.com

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 11:22 AM   in reply to DrStrik9

DrStrik9 wrote:

Unfortunately, with text selected, simply opening the character panel doesn't highlight the first field, so attempting to tab through the character fields will simply replace your selected text with a "tab" character.

Just for your information: When doing it this way you can use the default shortcut Cmd-Option-Shift-F to highlight the first field in the Character palette.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points