Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Date stamp text variable

Feb 11, 2013 9:29 AM

Tags: #text #changes #output #track #variable #date

I have an indesign document that I need to track  updates in for individual pages. 

Using the text variable 'output date' on a master page or individually placed on each page, when I export a single page of the document  the date is changed on every page.  Is there a way to export individual or a range of pages and have only these pages have their output date update?

Thank you very much.

A.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 11:09 PM   in reply to 10454837

The only way I can think of, and even that might not really work unless you consider a page number change to be an update, would be if every page is a separate file and you combine them in a Book. Modification or output dates are file-level attributes, not page level, so they will be the same for every page in a file if you try to use a variable.

The problem with the Book method, though, is that if the Book is synchronized in any way the modified dates for all of the files included will be updated, even if no actual text is changed.

You could try using a variable on the master page, then convert it to text, then delete it and reapply the master and convert to text again for each update, but that's probably more complicated than just changing the dates manually. I think you might be able to script this, though, so that a you have a text frame that can be updated to the current date on the current page (without using a variable) on each page. This would require that you run the script, though, for every page that gets modified. You can check over in scripting to see if they have any better ideas: InDesign Scripting

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 4:57 AM   in reply to 10454837

A slight variation of Peter's suggestion would be to make every page a separate file with its own text variable, then place each file into a new InDesign document. Select the placed page and use Edit original to make your edits.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 6:00 AM   in reply to Luke Jennings

That's better than the Book idea, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to 10454837

I'm not sure if what you're asking for is a "List of Effective Pages (EOP). You might want to look into it with a Google or Bing search for "list of effective pages InDesign," and "list of effective pages," without quotes for InDesign-specific and general information.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

10454837 wrote:

I have an indesign document that I need to track  updates in for individual pages. 

Using the text variable 'output date' on a master page or individually placed on each page, when I export a single page of the document  the date is changed on every page.  Is there a way to export individual or a range of pages and have only these pages have their output date update?

Thank you very much.

A.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points