Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Question about Spry Validation

Feb 11, 2013 10:15 AM

I know that Adobe is no longer going to further develop Spry, but will this affect the way you use Spry Validation in  Dreamweaver cs5.5 for validating Form Fields?   Or is that a dumb question?

Does Dreamweaver use Spry Validation for Forms in DW CS6?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

Not a CS6 user, but it would seem so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYFc2BM0CTc

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

You can keep using Spry if you want to . 

Personally, I've never used Client-Side Form Validation because it is dependant upon JavaScript.  On forms, this could be a problem because many people, including corporate & gov't employees, have JS disabled for security reasons.  

Server-side validation is much more reliable.   I validate forms with PHP code which also collects & processes form data.  If you're considering a change, I recommend using server-side validation.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

If your server supports PHP,

Formm@ailer PHP from DB Masters
    http://dbmasters.net/index.php?id=4

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

Here is something that I have found useful from Montana Programmer

But there are many other tutorials and I recommend you do a Google search for "php form validation."

But Nancy's answer is really bugging me here. I do not use JavaScript for form validation, I use php. But I do use JavaScript a lot for lots of things. I also have a web store (wanna a cookie anyone?) that requires that JavaScript be active, because I have to get data from the HTML page—ribbon color, quantity and the like.

First, are you confusing Java (developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems, bought by Oracle) with JavaScript (originally developed in Netscape, by Brendan Eich)? Gawd, I hope so.

Second, does this mean that my shopping cart will break with JavaScript disabled? Really, what I'm doing is just passing ribbon and other cart information to php using ajax.

Mind you, there's no form validation here, just looking at quantities of what we have picked, ribbon color and putting information on the page that indicates to the user that they have XX items in their cart at the present time, based on their session ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

The Java coding language is an entirely different animal from Javascript.

Java has been the recently vulnerable technology

Ooooops, just noticed thi has already been addressed by mhollis

My bad

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

In a modern browser (which means almost nothing from Microsoft), JavaScript is very safe. And don't confuse it with a Java Virtual Machine on your computer with JavaScripting code on a website.

Here is why:

JavaScript executes in the browser. So, if I write some JavaScript code to do an image gallery or a header that changes, your browser picks up that code and does what it says. Leave the website I have created and the code stops executing. Assuming your browser is reasonably up-to-date, you needn't worry.

The Java Virual Machine is another story. Java can be initiated by JavaScript, so if your computer is set to run the JVM by default, JavaScript can actually put something harmful on your computer by loading something for your JVM to run. Modern browsers are now set up to turn off the JVM by default and ask you first if you want to download an application from the web (do you trust this website?). Shut down your browser and the JVM keeps executing the application.

One really good example of the use of the JVM is screen sharing so that somene can control your computer from somewhere else and see what's going on. Adobe actually does this when you have a really bad problem that their tech support people need to solve. Other companies do this as well. But, because full access to your entire computer is possible through the JVM, it is (potentially) dangerous. So it is highly recommended that you do not have it enabled by default.

JavaScript = safe.

Java = potentially dangerous.

-Mark Hollis

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to mhollis55

@Marc,

I am not confusing JAVA with JavaScript.  In my experience, JS or AJAX is safe to use most of the time except when disabling it adversely impacts access to content or function. 

Another example, I don't use menus that rely entirely on JavaScript.  I prefer menus that work without JS just in case the user has it turned off.

I suggest you test your form with JavaScript disabled to ascertain whether or not this is a potential problem for your users.  Then go from there...

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

When you can create a fully-functioning menu with drop-downs (and overs) using CSS like this one, I do not recommend using JavaScript for menus.

That was the result of a "pure CSS drop-down menu" search using Google.

-Mark Hollis

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to mhollis55

I don't want to get too far off topic here.  But malicious JavaScripts can easily introduce viruses, spyware & trojans to an end user's system.  That's why many corporate, gov't and private agencies disable them.  Individuals can freely download JS blocking add-ons for their browsers.

No-Script Add-on for Firefox (has 2+ million users)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/noscript/

Script-Safe for Chrome

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/scriptsafe/oiigbmnaadbkfbmpb fijlflahbdbdgdf/details?hl=en

JavaScript Blocker for Safari

http://javascript-blocker.toggleable.com/

No-Scripts for Opera

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/notscripts/

JAVA threats are a totally different issue.  Especially vulnerable are mobile devices that use the Java platform to run apps.

http://www.webpronews.com/your-computer-and-mobile-device-remain-at-ri sk-in-2013-2013-01

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

@Fourwhitesocks,

I tested that menu with JS turned off.  The top level menus work but the sub-menus don't appear.   If you can live with that, keep using it.  If not, find something better.

I like this CSS Menu.  It uses minimal JS to support IE6.  But since IE6 is nearly obsolete, you don't need it unless your target audience is in the 3rd world.

http://www.red-team-design.com/css3-dropdown-menu

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

Nancy, I recall a conversation you had with a few other people here, where you said something to the effect that one solution to rounded corners was to ignore IE.

I am now in "ignore IE" mode for Internet Exploder 6. Heck, even Microsoft says you need to upgrade, on a website they made. Their stated goal is to see Internet Exploiter 6 drop to 1% worldwide (they have a problem with China where many people have stolen copies of Microsoft's operating system).

JavaScript is required for the drop-down menus that harness JavaScript's abolity to show-hide (and animate). Straight CSS drop-down menus don't animate, but they use CSS's positioning and show/hide to get the same job done and, in my view, are simpler to use.

Project 7 is using JavaScript in Pop Menu Magic 2 and Tree Menu Magic 2 as well. There's animation in these two menuing systems. For non-drop-down menus, Project 7 uses JavaScript for Menu Bar Magic animations (and I quite like those). I don't know how PMM2 and TMM 2 menuing degrades without JavaScript. Good Question for Al Sparber, who does participate here. For MBM animations, they "degrade" quite nicely, as a rollover won't cause any animation, but it won't cause the menu to disappear, either.

Nancy, you have me really worried. I use more and more JavaScript these days and HTML5 seems to be pointing the way for even more. I want my websites to be dymanic and look cool. I'm not sure what a future without JavaScript would look like.

-Mark Hollis

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to mhollis55

Project 7 is using JavaScript in Pop Menu Magic 2 and Tree Menu Magic 2 as well. There's animation in these two menuing systems. For non-drop-down menus, Project 7 uses JavaScript for Menu Bar Magic animations (and I quite like those). I don't know how PMM2 and TMM 2 menuing degrades without JavaScript. Good Question for Al Sparber, who does participate here. For MBM animations, they "degrade" quite nicely, as a rollover won't cause any animation, but it won't cause the menu to disappear, either.

Nancy, you have me really worried. I use more and more JavaScript these days and HTML5 seems to be pointing the way for even more. I want my websites to be dymanic and look cool. I'm not sure what a future without JavaScript would look like.

In this day and age, "browsers with script disabled" is pretty much statistically irrelevant. That said, the latest versions of all of our menu products are fully accessible with script disabled. PMM2 reverts to a pure CSS menus and the drop-downs actually work. Tree Men uMagic simply expands to fully show all of the links, which is how our widgets behave. There is no problem.

The issue of forms handling is a problem. Validation should be done with server-side scripting in PHP or a similar language and not via client-side JavaScript. Typically, though, it is not a fatal problem as most people forced to browse at work with constrained systems should not be browsing your site anyway. They should be working. If they need to access one of your client's sites (likely for personal reasons) they will likely be very comfrotable with waiting until they leave the office. Understand too, that the major social media sites, like Facebook, will not even allow you to log in unless JavaScript is enabled.

To test your page with script disabled, simply use the developer tools that come with Chrome or IE9/10 and toggle script off.

--

Al Sparber - PVII
    http://www.projectseven.com
    The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets
    Since 1998

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to mhollis55

PVII pays close attention to accessibility.  While transitions/fades and other eye candy may not work with JS turned off, AFAIK content remains accessible.

I use JQuery for a lot of stuff too -- mainly eye candy and other visual effects like fades/smooth scrolling, equal height columns, etc...  But I like to test without JS before I put it on a live site.  Easy to do in Firefox with the Web Developer Toolbar.  See screenshot:

Firefox-disableJS.jpg

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

Wrapped in one sentence:

ALL validation MUST be made on the server side and, to add a bit of flair, you CAN use SpryValidation widgets.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:13 PM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

Are you talking about Firebug (bottom of screen) or the Web Developer Toolbar (top of screen)?

Did you download from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/web-developer/?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:49 PM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

You have downloaded the GCLI Developer Toolbar

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/GCLI

Nancy's screenshot is from Chris Pedrick's Web Developer Toolbar. Refer link in my Post #20 above.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

To recap my orignal post. Use Spry Validation if you want to.  But don't use it for the really vital stuff.  Server-side validation is reliable.  Client-side validation is not.

Good luck.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points