Skip navigation
alidec26
Currently Being Moderated

How can i convert .TTF files

Feb 11, 2013 11:09 AM

Hi all, Not sure if i am posting this in the correct place but here goes,

We are close to the launch of our site now and have just a few things left to sort out. We have a t shirt designer on the site which will allow users to add txt and pictures to their products. What we dont have however are the fonts. Now, we were told that to get the fonts added to the site we would need to convert the .TTF using adobe flash cs4. Unfortunately, we were not told how to do it and i cant find any tutorials on how its done either. Anybody got any ideas of this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to alidec26

Embedding fonts is no rocket science. Depending how many fonts you need this can all be done with shared library assets that can be loaded as swf files. If that was what your line

Now, we were told that to get the fonts added to the site we would need to convert the .TTF

was hinting at.

Flash can`t convert .ttf to .otf or .ps-fonts or , if your engine needs that. For that you would need a specialized font converter program.

Here is a good Tutorial for how embedding works with as3

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to alidec26

I consider myself warned, then

For a good read about technical/legal restrictions of font embedding on the web, I would strongly advise to read this article

As a thumb of rule: If your business relies heavily on Fonts, either make sure they are Free or contact the FontCompany for special Licenses:

Also traditionally, if you wanted to use a font for commercial web services (for example to create printable greeting cards online) you had to purchase an extended license for the fonts you wanted to use in the application. The extended license is often paid yearly and depends on things like number of visitors and number of CPUs on the server.

(from the article I linked)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points