Skip navigation
tba20042003
Currently Being Moderated

Is transcoding necessary?

Feb 11, 2013 11:39 AM

Tags: #software #editing #transcoding #elements_11

Is transcoding necessary? I have a PC running Windows 7, Adobe Premiere Elements 11, and shoot with a Canon 5D Mk2. I am new to movie making with my DSLR and am keen to learn more. If transcoding is necessary, what software is required? Is it easy to do? Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to John T Smith

It's impossible NOT to transcode, pretty much. Unless you're putting miniDV footage in, not adding any effects, and getting DV footage out.

Whatever you plan to do with the finished movie you make from the video from your camera (put it on a DVD or BluRay, post it to YouTube, share it with friends) it's going to need some sort of transcoding to convert it to the format that the medium requires.

Or are you askng something else? Like if Premiere Elements 11 can edit video from that camera in its native format? Because, if you are, it can -- but, again, when you output it (especially if you've addeed any titles or video effects to it) it's going to have be re-encoded and pretty like transcoded to an appropriate video format.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

BTW, have you checked out our free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series? It's a great way to get up and running with the program and to keep from making costly mistakes early on.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to tba20042003

tba20042003 wrote:

Is transcoding necessary? I have a PC running Windows 7, Adobe Premiere Elements 11, and shoot with a Canon 5D Mk2. I am new to movie making with my DSLR and am keen to learn more. If transcoding is necessary, what software is required? Is it easy to do? Thank you.

Steve works hard at this and is truly and expert.  Since you are new to movie making and an owner of Premier Elements 11, I urge you to take the excellent course at Lynda.com, where coincidently Steve is the contracted instructor.  See:  http://www.lynda.com/Premiere-Elements-tutorials/Up-Running-Premiere-E lements-11/109763-2.html

Steve wrote, "It's impossible NOT to transcode, pretty much."  The "pretty much" makes it interesting.  As a busy guy, he didn't expand on that.  So, I will!

There seems to be a small video enthusiast cult that likes to maintain the purity of their original images.  The shoot in the highest possible settings.  They want to trim and then combine clips as pure copies, frame by frame.  It can be called "smart rendering" or "lossless rendering", but the use of the terms will vary a little.  The most common way to do make perfect copies is with the editing software that comes with Sony and Panasonic cameras called Play MemoriesHome and HDWriter, respectively.  Canon may have similar software, but I am not familiar with it.  Members of the cult are fond of a shareware program called "tsmuxer".  If you google for "smart rendering" you should run into a company called IMPGEnc that sells a "smart rendering, lossless editor".

I have read reference to a suggestion that Premier Pro CS6 may have recently added "smart rendering" capability.

The reality is that movies produced by "smart rendering" may be enjoyable for their picture quality, they will be pretty dull and hard to watch.  There can be no adjustments, transitions and even titles may be missing.  They are few ways to watch the "1080p60" format that the cult likes to produce. 

Unless you are a candidate for the 1080p60 lossless, smart rendering cult, you will have a lot more fun and make much better movies with rendering software like Premier Elements 11.   The process of rendering is not much different than using your 5D, Mk2 to capture in RAW and edit or process to .jpg for sharing, viewing or printing.

Again, if your are new to video, put the blinders on, stop watching TV for a few days and take the Lynda.com course.  It is the fast track to not being new at video.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to whsprague

Beautifully written, Bill! I couldn't have said it better -- so I didn't dare even try!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thank you! I re-read it and it is full of typos!

I'm a fan.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points