Skip navigation
cottage.court.dude
Currently Being Moderated

MAJOR LEARNING CURVE TRAUMA

Feb 11, 2013 12:52 PM

Tags: #cs5 #red #4k

Okay here is the deal, friends.  I am an oldtimer, jumping from Premiere Pro 2 and a PC, editing good old fashioned standard def video - jumping straight into CS5 on an Intel MAC, editing a feature shot on the Red at 4K.  Needless to say I was lost from the get-go. 

Shooting from the hip, I had a guy on the production convert the footage to 1080, thinking this was the way to go, and have been editing this feature this way.  Now I am learning that I need to be converting this to full 4K and outputting that way. 

I do still have all the original footage on a second drive, but the footage I have been editing has all been at 1080.  Any help, people?  Please tell me I haven't painted myself into a corner with this one.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to cottage.court.dude

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

your biggest consideration here is if you are doing any split screens, crops, masking, scaling. if it's straight edits then you shouldn't have much problem as kevin describes. If you are doing things like split screens, scaling, etc. there is a lot more you may need to consider.

You may want to look at Premiere Pro's scale to sequence setting and how this may help your needs.

http://www.retooled.net/?p=234

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to cottage.court.dude

You might also want to visit the tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 2:49 PM   in reply to cottage.court.dude

Slow mo shouldn't matter as long as the frame rate is the same, which i really hope it is.

Filters, well that depends on the filter of course. If it was doing scaling or cropping, then of course you may have issues.

If you did premiere built in scaling or cropping, you may be ok...but you may not... that default scale to sequence thing may help you though.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to cottage.court.dude

I've only got two RED RAW projects under my belt, so take that into consideration.  I have a multi-core with lots of RAM and a super-fast RAID. 

My choice was to simply use the RED RAW 4K in Sequences set at 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 resolution.  I could get real-time playback that way.  And I also benefitted from source side color correcting, which you don't get if you transcode your footage, or work with proxies.

No matter what method you choose, there are going to be trade-offs.  Stay native and work slower.  Or, transcode and scale down (as you've already done, IINM), off-line faster, and have more utility work at the back end as you match back to the 4K.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points