• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting animations containing nested movieclip symbols to .avi or .mov video formats?

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this is my first post here, I've searched around on a lot of old forums on this topic and most of the information relevant to it seems really outdated.

I have an animation workflow that involves utilizing a lot of nested movieclip symbols to achieve relatively complex animtions.  Ideally I'd like to be able to export my finished product into .avi or .mov for further tweaking in Premiere or Final Cut, but so far I haven't been able to get these options to work the way I need them to.

Exporting to .avi gives me a simplyfied version of my animation where none of the nested symbols play through.

I've read that if you export to QuickTime it may work the way I'd like; however, I'm running Windows and apparently you need QuickTime installed a certain way for this option to work.  I installed the free version of QuickTime 7 in hopes that would solve the exporting problem, but it hasn't.  I still receive the error message, "QuickTime is not available. Please make sure QuickTime is properly installed".  I feel like if I could get this working a lot of my problems would be solved.

Other options I know about are...

1. Using a high quality screen capture application to record the .swf playing in Adobe...

2. Finding some sort of conversion software that will convert my .swf file to an .avi or .mov.

So does anybody know how to fix the QuickTime issue?  If not, any suggestions for the two types of software listed above?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Switching the movie clips to "Graphic Symbols" instead of movie clips works if you want to export to .avi. This can simply be done in the properties panel. It might be a hassle to switch a lot of movie clips to graphic symbols but it works if you can get away with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best application I've found as far as converting .swf files into various video formats (.mp4 .avi .mov etc.)  is called Moyea SWF to Video Converter (it costs about $100). There's a free trial so you can see if it suits your needs; although, it does throw a Moyea watermark over the converted video.  It works quite well as far as I can tell and you don't get the frame dropping problem most people see when exporting to QuickTime.

All the other  free software out there seemed to simply not work when I attempted opening my .swf files, possibly because I'm using CS6 and these converting programs are all pretty old.

I haven't tried the screen capture route; but from what I've read, the screen recording software is more expensive than the converting software.

I'm still open to trying out the exporting to QuickTime option if anyone has any advice on how to make this work with Windows (as far as properly installing QuickTime).

Anything helps!  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this Video Lee Brimelow describes how this Actionscript>Quicktime conversion works, and at Minute 8 of the video which exxport settings are best suited. As for the problem why Quicktime would not work on your machine, you should consider consulting a Quicktime forum. I`m sure there is sth like a Quicktime cleanup tool, that will get rid of a damaged installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2013 Sep 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One very simple answer: Swivel

It's created by Newgrounds and seems to work very well in converting 1080p SWF to MP4. Oh, and its free.

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/flash-resources/swivel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching the movie clips to "Graphic Symbols" instead of movie clips works if you want to export to .avi. This can simply be done in the properties panel. It might be a hassle to switch a lot of movie clips to graphic symbols but it works if you can get away with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you saved my day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines