Skip navigation
skeeterz71xxx 167 posts
Nov 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to change the path, selectors, curved lines color

Feb 11, 2013 2:45 PM

Hi,

I'm doing a photo trace in photoshop using the pen tool. The lines, they are gray. Some of the photo is gray. This makes it a little hard to see the adjustments when using the direction points to adjust the curves. Is there a way to change their color? I'm working in a work path in the paths box.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to skeeterz71xxx

I believe there is no way to change the path color as you're working in the paths panel. Time to submit a feature request?

Aa a possible workaround, depending on the nature of your reference, you could add a temporary (non-destructive) levels or curves layer to lighten or darken your reference art for the difficult-to-see parts. This way, you could get the proper contrast to better see the gray-only path in those sections.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to DrStrik9

Coloured paths have been requested many times. My recollection may be wrong, but I seem to remember Adobe insisting that paths cannot be any colour other than gray because of something outside Adobe's control. Isn't it strange that Adobe's own Illustrator (and apps by other companies) allows the user to specify colours of paths. Also notice that Photoshop allows the user to pick colours for guides, smart guides and slices.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 7:46 PM   in reply to skeeterz71xxx

skeeterz71xxx wrote:

Illustrator's defaults to blue path lines. Do you mind letting me know how to change for the path lines?

Double-click a layer thumbnail to open Layer Options where the colour can be picked.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 11:53 PM   in reply to skeeterz71xxx

skeeterz71xxx wrote:

I'm doing a photo trace in photoshop using the pen tool. The lines, they are gray. Some of the photo is gray. This makes it a little hard to see the adjustments when using the direction points to adjust the curves.

In PS CS6 just turn off OpenGL. Thus you can see the paths on anywhere. In CS5 this not works.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:21 AM   in reply to r-bin

r-bin wrote:

skeeterz71xxx wrote:

I'm doing a photo trace in photoshop using the pen tool. The lines, they are gray. Some of the photo is gray. This makes it a little hard to see the adjustments when using the direction points to adjust the curves.

In PS CS6 just turn off OpenGL. Thus you can see the paths on anywhere. In CS5 this not works.

Sometimes that doesn't make a great difference. Example follows with OpenGL on and paths anti-aliased, OpenGL on and paths not anti-aliased, and OpenGL off.

OGL-AA.png

OGL.png

OGL-off.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 12, 2013 5:36 AM   in reply to conroy

Maybe it's the path thickness that ought to be selectable.

What does it do on a Retina display?  Surely it can't still just be one pixel in width.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I don't know how Photoshop paths look on a Retina display, but here's the same example image and path in Illustrator where the user can pick colours that they want.

Screen-shot-2013-02-12-at-14.43.37.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 7:13 AM   in reply to conroy

And here is Adobe After Effects where paths are anti-aliased. Again, the user can choose path colour.

Screen-shot-2013-02-12-at-15.09.57.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to conroy

And Adobe InDesign allows user to pick colours of paths.

Screen-shot-2013-02-12-at-16.35.00.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 12, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to conroy

You chose a background that effectively hides a Photoshop path (not hard to do)...  But that background doesn't hide a bright yellow path.  Not really a surprise.

What if you were drawing those paths through a bed of bright yellow flowers?  Do those other tools do any kind of inversion or other magic to help you see the path?

My impression is that the Photoshop path is the way it is so it can remain visible on both light and dark colors. 

I have noticed that the antialiasing is done without regard to the gamma, however, meaning anti-aliased paths still end up looking jaggy.

DarkAndLightCan.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

You chose a background that effectively hides a Photoshop path (not hard to do)...  But that background doesn't hide a bright yellow path.  Not really a surprise.

Noel, of course I deliberately chose a background to hide a Photoshop path. This thread arose because of such a situation!

And of course I picked a path colour (bright yellow) to contrast with the gray background image. I wanted to show how much clearer a path can be.

What if you were drawing those paths through a bed of bright yellow flowers?

If I was drawing a path over yellow flowers, I'd pick a colour to contrast with yellow. Here's a clearly visible red path on your yellow, blue and black image.

Screen-shot-2013-02-12-at-18.16.11.png

Noel Carboni wrote:

Do those other tools do any kind of inversion or other magic to help you see the path?

No, no magic, just freedom to pick colours.

My impression is that the Photoshop path is the way it is so it can remain visible on both light and dark colors.

Yes, and it works well in some situations, but not at all well in others, hence this thread.

I haven't suggested that any current feature be removed from Photoshop. I'm hoping to see options added to Photoshop.

I have noticed that the antialiasing is done without regard to the gamma, however, meaning anti-aliased paths still end up looking jaggy.

Yes, surprisingly poor. Or not so surprising, on second thoughts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 12, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to conroy

That red path looks a little thicker to me.

I'm not against color-configurability, not at all - I just think that it needs to be thicker too.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points