Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Viewing a CMYK PDFX1/A PDF on an iPad and holding the color?

Feb 11, 2013 2:29 PM

Tags: #ipad #indesign

Hello,

Ok, here is an odd one...

We have a vendor where we need to supply a PDFX1/A 4/c PDF for the iPad version. When I view it on the iPad, it looks terrible...gets very bright, the colors aren't even close.

If I export the same InDesign file as an Interactive PDF option, it looks very close to the original on my screen and that is what I am looking for, but I have to show a PDFX1/a on the ipad, which is not an option in interactive pdf, just print pdf.

Does anyone know how to make any settings in the Export PDFX1/a option that would let it hold truer to the color viewed on the screen, when I view the same pdf on the iPad?

Is that even possible?

Thanks!

babs

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to iBabs2

You might try viewing such PDF files using the Adobe Reader for iOS that you can download for free from the Apple Application Store. It handles CMYK colors, spot colors with either CMYK or Lab alternates, and live transparency much better than the built-in iOS Preview program. FWIW, there is nothing you can do with the export settings to make this any better if your vendor foolishly insists on a PDF/X-1a file. (A PDF/X-1a file is really only appropriate for printing under some conditions!) At least with PDF/X-4, any original RGB image and vector content will remain as RGB and display with much higher fidelity. Furthermore, transparency won't be ruined by flattening it when producing the PDF file. Such transparency flattening is what yields those stupid white lines that you see when viewing such files on the screen.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points