Skip navigation
Trevor Dennis 5,925 posts
May 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Summoned by Australian Government

Feb 11, 2013 4:26 PM

I stopped posting here a while back because of this issue.  Back then Adobe and Apple completely snubbed the Oz government and ignored their requests to front up about it.  Looks like it hasn't gone away.  This is the link to the BBC story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21406745

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 11, 2013 5:29 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

So do you or your countrymen have a working theory why giant software companies charge especially high prices in Oz?  Is it because they've been allowed to get away with it?

I've missed your input around here, Trevor.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Apparently Adobe is not even allowing Noel's comments to appear in Austrailia.  He commented 10 minutes ago and nothing appears.

Message was edited by: Curt Y  By the time I got this typed his comments appeared.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 11, 2013 5:49 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I've seen some threads today with posts listed but which don't show them when the thread is opened.

Alas, something's gone wrong with the Adobe server farm methinks.  There are definitely coordination problems afoot.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

This is a test on missing posts.  Another Noel post 1 hour old but no message.  Will see if it appears when I post this.

Message was edited by: Curt Y  Yep, when I posted the missing post appeared.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 1:27 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Sounds interesting, please keep us posted if you come across results of the inqury.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 12, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Your post is still here, Trevor.

I wonder if there is some hidden barrier to international trade with Oz (other than the longer shipping distance) that makes it more expensive to do business that could be causing these pricing issues.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

It's not just Adobe and OZ. For those in, or near, Canada, last weekend the Canadian show 'Marketplace' ran a show detailing how much more things cost in Canada than they do just over the border in the US. Especially now with the currency very close to par.

Bottle of Ibuprophin; $7 US... $14 Canada

Auto parts - same part, same brand; 120% to 180% more in Canada.

Various baby products - cribs, playpens, etc.; 110% to almost 200% more in Canada.

And so on...

In general, the price overrun was far more than could be accounted for by transport and taxes. It doesn't excuse Adobe, or anyone else. But the problem is widespread.

--OB

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to OldBob1957

OldBob1957,

It is my understanding that Canada has much higher taxes on everything to pay for social programs.  Now with Obamacare the law of the land, and the IRS estimating the cost to be $20,000 for a family of 4, the U.S. prices will have to change also.  We may be going to Canada or Australia to buy at a cheaper price in the near future.

OldCurt1942

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt,

Indeed they do. But, as I said, even adding in transport and taxes, the prices were way out of line. As Noel said earlier, the main reason seems to be simply that corporations have been allowed to get away with it. After all, before the internet, how would you know what someone half a world away was paying for a product?

Curt Y wrote:

Now with Obamacare the law of the land, and the IRS estimating the cost to be $20,000 for a family of 4, the U.S. prices will have to change also.  We may be going to Canada or Australia to buy at a cheaper price in the near future.

And I am afraid you are probably right about that.

--OB

P.S. The OldBob1957 came about because back when I first joined these forums (fora?) there were about fifty or sixty other Bobs around, and I just wanted to be able to find my own posts!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

For as long as the trusts can hang out with the importers, make big $$ in secret and get away with it, they will abuse customers pretexting higher local costs. Situation was pretty much the same here in Switzerland. We are still discriminated by a number of international companies, but many have had to adjust. I believe that the Internet has played a big role in making things more even with the advent of on-line shops. People could at last compare prices throughout the world and know how they were robbed.

As for Australia, I reckon that implementing an oz slang version of Photoshop for a jolly bunch of few has it's cost !

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Lobbyists have so far been successful in keeping Internet sales tax free.  The exception is when the marketer has a presence in the State they have to impose a tax.  But States are hurting for money and so the issue is always being pressed.  Of course they do not say then lust for the money, but just the old excuse "we want to be fair to the brick and mortar businesses and have a more level playing field".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points