Skip navigation
bosvark44
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop not working properly after new installation

Feb 11, 2013 3:42 PM

Tags: #photoshop #error #bridge #installation

I have a brand new Dell desktop that runs windows 8. I installed the Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Master Collection and got a message saying that there were errors during installation and some things might not work properly. I uninstalled and did it a second time. Same message.

I then spoke with an  Adobe agent that helped me download a program to detect what the errors were. He said they were minor issues and shouldn't affect the programs. No help there.

I then spent hours today speaking with Dell on the phone and the rep took remote control of the computer and did a diagnostics check on the hardware. He said everything is fine. I asked him if it might be the video card needing an update so he ran an update. Same issues, no change.

We changed the compatability to windows 7 and still no change.

I then uninstalled the creative suite and tried installing it from the desktop. Still same problems.

These are the issues in photoshop:

1)When using certain tools (transform tool, crop tool) the images goes completely black.

2) The background switches at random- sometimes checkered, sometimes grey, and sometimes black.

3) Color saturation is incorrectly represented. It switches whenever it wants. For instance, when I zoom in and out it changes.

In Adobe Bridge some of the RAW images don't show in the program. Some I just can't open. Others open fine. Those images will open in Photoshop but not in Bridge.

So I have no idea what to do and this is becoming extremely frustrating. I should add I haven't had any problems with Lightroom and it works fine as far as I can tell.

What could be causing these issues? Could the install CD be damaged?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 4:15 PM   in reply to bosvark44

All 3 problems sound like bugs in your video card driver.

Have you updated your video card driver from the GPU maker's website?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 4:54 PM   in reply to bosvark44

Did he update it from AMD, Microsoft (mistake), or Dell (big mistake)?

Again, the problems you describe are due to the video card or it's driver.

For the time being you could turn off the GPU in Photoshop's preferences.

But at some point you're going to want to make sure you have a working GPU system.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to bosvark44

I agree with Chris that all your issues sound like video card driver problems, or a defective card.

Go to the ATI website http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx and get the latest update.  The catalyst 13.2 beta seems to work well with photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 6:49 PM   in reply to bosvark44

What version of the driver does it say you had?  12.8 and 13.2 beta seem to work well.  The ones between those versions have problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to bosvark44

Had another thought.  Do you have an onboard GPU also?  If so disable it as PS has trouble with 2 dissimilar cards.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points