Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

question about chopping up a jpg and animating it

Feb 11, 2013 3:58 PM

Tags: #a #from #sync #jpg #symbols #creating #lip

Hi All,

I have been searching around for the right 'phrase' to get a tutorial on animating a jpg. I have cs6 suite. So tools are not the problem. I also have Toon Boom Animate 2.

I am trying to get some tutorials to take a Jpg and chop it up to create parts. So I can then animate them, or 'bone / tween them in Flash.

I am not sure where to start as far as disecting a jpg into parts that I can then export and turn them into a symbol...I subscribed to Class On Demand, but I could not find a solution there. Or I was  not typing the exact, perfect phrase to find it.

Please those of you who know how to do this. Give me some search phrases to find a decent tutorial video(s) to watch to be able to grab a jpg, chop it into peices. I would think this is done in PS? But which tool and what is the term used to describe that utility? 

After  I have the pic chopped into peices I think I could then just import them into my  Flash Library and convert them into symbols and start animating. I saw the Panda for Lip Sync (in the 'canned' animation area) That is what I am really trying to do... However I could not perfect the proper phrase to find a video on how to do that.  Creatiang a Lip Sync out of a JPg....Some of the tutorials I wathced on Youtube were way to advanced to show the little important steps to do that. I got the ones that showed after creating or knowing first hand how to draw symbols then build my comp.

If you know of a video or tutorial to turn me on to, that would be appreciated.

Thanks for any direction,

NC

P.S. I do not need the link to "getting started with flash" and making a ball roll with a start and stop button.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 11, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

import your jpg to flash>place it on the stage>while it's still selected, click modify>bitmap>trace bitmap (experiment with settings).

after converting to a vector (tracing bitmap), use the lasso tool to select one body part you want to animate independently of the other parts (eg, the left forearm)>right click>click convert to symbol>select movieclip (if you're going to use actionscrpt) or graphic (if you're going to animate using timeline tweening).

continue selecting other body parts and converting to symbols until the entire jpg is sliced and converted.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 11, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

after converting to a vector you should be able to lasso any part you want.  that will select the lassod part.  right click >convert to symbol>movieclip.  then cut that piece and paste in place in a new layer whose visibility you can toggle on and off to see what's already been selected.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points