Skip navigation
Williamjames316
Currently Being Moderated

Putting together a java friendly grid using photoshop

Feb 11, 2013 5:10 PM

Tags: #photoshop #javacript

Hi,

I am designing a very simple game, based on the game of Battleships, and to begin the build I'll be needing a grid of (approx) 30-50 squares, which will then form the (online) board of the game - how can I go about this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 6:09 PM   in reply to Williamjames316

You'd better tell us why you specified "java friendly" and what that entails for the grid. (I'm familiar with Java the programming language, but I don't know your definition of "java friendly grid".) The more complete and clear your specification, the more likely you'll get a useful reply from the forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to Williamjames316

Please unmark my first reply as Correct since it was only a request for further info.

I understand your concern about the finished grid being usable in your program, but for someone to help with the Photoshop side of the job, you'll need to specify exactly what you require to be produced by Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 6:25 AM   in reply to Williamjames316

Yes, you can draw one square of the grid then use Edit > Define Pattern to create a preset of just that square. Then use Edit > Fill to populate the board with the Pattern preset.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to Williamjames316

There is a bug with Pattern definition which possibly is affecting you. Create a new 8-bit RGB document measuring 50 px x 50 px. Draw your square in it. Export in PNG format and attach the PNG to a reply to this message. I'll see what can be done.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to conroy

The pattern repeat detection bug only affects 16 and 32 bit/channel images (I fixed it yesterday).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris, I didn't know there was a bug with pattern repeat. I wrote "pattern definition". It's reported in feedback forum and it affects 8-bit grayscale as well as 16-bit and 32-bit modes.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/incorrect_croppi ng_of_define_pattern_in_32_bit_mode_in_some_cases

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to Williamjames316

William, your square works OK for me, both defining a pattern from it and filling a layer with the pattern. Try opening that actual posted PNG and defining a pattern from it, then filling your board with that new pattern.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to conroy

When you define a pattern, Photoshop looks for repeats and crops down to the minimum repeating pattern (which is why defining a pattern of a solid color goes down to a single pixel).  But that was not working correctly in 16 and 32 bit/channel.

We have not been able to reproduce any problem in 8 bit/channel.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

When you define a pattern, Photoshop looks for repeats and crops down to the minimum repeating pattern (which is why defining a pattern of a solid color goes down to a single pixel).

The pattern definition bug doesn't only happen when an attempt is made to define a region of solid colour, and it doesn't only result in a single-pixel definition. Below is a square region with multiple colours that Photoshop will define as a column of pixels.

Screen-shot-2013-02-13-at-19.32.01.png

But that was not working correctly in 16 and 32 bit/channel.

We have not been able to reproduce any problem in 8 bit/channel.

Well, I was able to reproduce the 8-bit grayscale example that was reported in this forum a week ago: Photoshop Pattern Definition not working correctly

That prompted me to bump the aforementioned report at the feedback forum. That report made 5 months ago would still be unacknowledged today if not for that bump.

Edit: Now I've learned that the grayscale pattern bug is at least 14 years old!!! And you say you cannot reproduce it!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to conroy

Your example is 16 bit/channel.

Again we haven't seen a problem in 8 bit/channel, only 16 and 32 bit/channel.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

Your example is 16 bit/channel.

What point are you trying to make by stating the obvious?

Of course my example was 16-bit. It was an example of the pattern definition bug in 16-bit mode. You, yourself, said the bug affects 16-bit and 32-bit modes. My example is one where the pattern is not just a solid colour region being reduced to a single pixel. As it shows, there is a square containing white plus three colours being reduced to a column of white plus one colour.

Again we haven't seen a problem in 8 bit/channel, only 16 and 32 bit/channel.

[Sigh] Again, here is the link (that was in my previous message) to a reproducable problem with 8-bit grayscale pattern definition: Photoshop Pattern Definition not working correctly

If you cannot reproduce the 8-bit grayscale problem, please ask a colleague to investigate because the problem has been known for at least 14 years.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to conroy

If you remain silent, I'll assume that you admit the problem with 8-bit grayscale pattern definitions.

Similar to your silence after I supplied example files regarding Ps CS6 erroneous rendering of pixel-aligned vectors.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points