Skip navigation
patri2430
Currently Being Moderated

data merge with images! cannot get it to work

Feb 11, 2013 8:12 PM

Tags: #indesign #cs6

I have set up my spread sheet like i usually do for a data merge with an extra column  for the images with i called '@images-

my images i named the following way

Macintosh HD:Users:myname:Desktop:test:imagesqrcode_AberdeenENG.png   it didnt work

i tried

Users:myname:Desktop:test:imagesqrcode_AberdeenENG.png  it didnt work

i tried with slashes

i placed the images in the same file as my in design file and just named it qrcode_AberdeenENG.png that still didnt work

doesn anyone out there have a solution

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2013 10:27 PM   in reply to patri2430

Try placing the images in the same folder as the source file (the .txt file).

Then you should just be able to use the exact name of the image (no path required).

I wrote this up in a blog post many years ago (but it hasn't changed):

http://indesignsecrets.com/data-merging-part-2.php

I went back to my source files for this example, and it still works in InDesign CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 10:56 PM   in reply to patri2430

We don't know what you mean by "it didn't work" unless you tell us what happened when you tried. What Steve has said should work, but I notice in the paths that you included in your post that there is probably at least one delimeter missing unless your file itself is named "imagesqrcode_AberdeenENG.png"

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 3:13 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Agree with Steve and Peter – put the images AND the .txt file into a folder – the merge should work from there. The other bonus of doing this is that only the filenames are required, not the complete path to the link.

colly

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 4:47 AM   in reply to patri2430

One possible problem might be the merge preview, which is buggy. It's best to take a leap of faith and just run the merge without a preview, then check to be sure it's correct. Since most merges take only a few minutes, this isn't too onerous most of the time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points