Skip navigation
DouglasBurrell
Currently Being Moderated

No Help Files and no Database with CD6 v12.1 Build 5966

Feb 11, 2013 6:46 PM

Tags: #error #dreamweaver #cs6

So I would really like to use the full power of Dreamweaver by pulling some data from the database onto some php pages. OK, sure I can do this but create a /config/config.php and /inc/connectiontodatabase.php, functions.php but you know what that's a pain in the butt when all I want to do is show a list of names in the body of my webpage. So I'm reading how wonderful it is to use Dreamweaver to connect to mySQL. My only problem is I think I have a mentally defiecent Dw from the Creative Cloud.

If I hot to the HELP file it gives me and error say there is no help file in stalled and the Database window is just greyed out. I can see where I'm suppose to create a connection string but it's not available to me. True, I am using my SingleHop Server as both the remote server AND a testing server because Dreamweaver online help said I had to have a testing server to have a database. Why? Can't I just connect to my MYSQL Database I created on the remote site. What do a need another testing server or even a fake testing server for that matter?

Can someone help me? Can Dw really connect to my MYSQL database or is this a pipe dream?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 4:50 AM   in reply to DouglasBurrell

That PHP code you're complaining about? That's what creates the connection to the database. PHP is a server-side scripting language. As requests come to the server, the PHP code executes, creates a connection to the database, queries the database based on whatever filtering you're asking the PHP script to do, captures the returned data from the quire to the database, puts it all back together and displays it as HTML on your page.

You really shouldn't "connect" your database directly to a website - that would be a security nightmare! Instead, you use server-side scripting langauge (PHP or ASP .NET are the big ones) to make carefully controlled and paramaterized calls (queries) to the database and return the data appropriately formated for display.

As for a testing server, take a look at WAMP/MAMP/XAMP - basically Apache, MySQL and PHP for W(indows), M(ac). It creates a nice self-contaioned environment on your local machine for testing. Testing servers are great because you can test your ideas in a nice, controlled environment before releasing them into the wilds of the internet. And with databases, you really do want to test things and make sure to lock stuff down - again there can be serious security implications once you start developing dynamic web sites.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points