Skip navigation
FLYBOY
Currently Being Moderated

Fireworks to Edge Reflow?

Feb 12, 2013 1:13 AM

I know Adobe don't like Fireworks but I'm hoping that they will have a workflow from FW6 to Edge Reflow. Is there any info on this?

Photoshop is great for image editing but it sucks real hard for web and mobile design, I just can't use it for that sort of work. I still find it mid-boggling how many people have FW installed and yet use PS for all their web and mobile design work. Unbelievable.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to FLYBOY

+ 2 and many others expencting this

Hopefully yes, as well as many other improvements! We need them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to FLYBOY

How would you imagine the Fw to Edge Reflow process working?  I've thought about creating an extension that would export to a .rflw file, but I'm not sure how useful it would be.  Would you want to create the text blocks and images in Fw, then have them appear in Rf?  Would you want to set up different media query layouts in Fw and then export to Rf? 

I'm wondering if it would be better to just do a smarter HTML output from Fw that would include the CSS media queries.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to FLYBOY

"The current FW HTML/CSS output is not even close to being usable in my opinion and attempting to make it so requires you to build your FW layout in a particular way"

The output is bad, but it doesn't have to be, so I'm wondering which steps in building the FW layout in a particular way are most onerous.  If you had to put all the elements you want to appear in a div together in their own sublayer, would that be too bad?  What about naming elements in a particular way to specify how they get output?  What if you had to use a special div auto shape instead of a rectangle to draw backgrounds and things?

"the ulimate outcome is for FW to be able to switch into HTML mode where it acts/is like DW/ER"

That would require rebuilding it from the ground up, but I also believe that a graphics app built on an HTML renderer is the future, since you get layout reflows and rich styling for free.  Reflow is nowhere to having sufficient tools for even a very basic drawing app (not that that's what it's trying to be right now).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to FLYBOY

Sure.  Ping me at fw()johndunning com.  I've been thinking of various approaches to improving the HTML output but I haven't built anything yet.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points