Skip navigation
astrodobe5897
Currently Being Moderated

Transcoding and framerate conversion

Feb 12, 2013 3:28 AM

Hi,

I maneuvered myself into a difficult situation.

Being new to video and a proud owner of a GoPro camera I recorded one of my concerts thinking bigger and faster is better. So I recorded at 1080/50. I did not realize that my PC would not be up to handle that and only rendering the timeline of one part of the concert would take days...

For now I imported the original MP4 footage into Elements11, but I do realize that transcoding the files first to 1280x720 with 25fps would go a long way in improving the situation. However converting the framerate in GoPro cineform (free version) creates a slow motion movie and also takes forever. There is an option to speed up the movie, so I guess 2x could do the trick, but I will have to sync the video later on with the recording that the radio guys took, so accurate timing is crucial.

I know that the Nº1 solution is to upgrade the PC, which I will do in the forseable future, but for the moment I will have to make do and at the same time will have to get that video out.

I read through the recent transcoding thread and I understand that in one way or the other transcoding should/will be done anyway, but I would appreciate if somebody could point out a workflow to reduce resolution AND framerate. Would it help to force a project setting in premiere upon the imported footage?

I am currently working through the classroom in a book from Adobe, but there is not much information about those situations

Thanks and any help will be much appreciated!

Berthold Hamburger

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 5:19 AM   in reply to astrodobe5897

There are some unique challenges to working with GoPro footage. (Which version of Premiere Elements are you working with, by the way?)

Bill Hunt is really our GoPro expert. He's traveling now -- but you might want to check out his excellent tips & tricks article on it.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/668369

His suggestions may help you. If not, we may need to wait until we hear from him.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to astrodobe5897

I found more information on using Cineform on a discussion on Sony's forum. It seems to be the way to go -- even if it does take a bit longer!

Maybe you'll find something helpful in this discussion.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=8 48611&Replies=9

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to astrodobe5897

I would say the best is to stay away from using cineform srudio at all and exclusively use Premiere for the entire workflow, as it is significantly faster.

Faster does not always means better.

I would set the video format to progressive, just incase.

I just dropped a 50p (mp4 gopro) file into a dslr 1080p25 setting and it played at normal speed.

If you use Cineform Studio to convert make sure the speed is set to 25 in the advanced settings. I find it sometimes changes on its own.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to astrodobe5897

Berthold, I've got no answers, and I apologize if this is inappropriate use of the forum.  But, I just had to say that the clip in the post above is absolutely stunning.  I don't know what you do, but you should keep doing it.

Well done!

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points