Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Make a secure pdf unsecure

Feb 12, 2013 5:04 AM

Is it possible to make a secure pdf unsecure using Adobe Acrobat Pro?

Basically, I am trying to add text using the Edit Document Text tool, but I cannot and I believe it is because it is secure.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to jmt111

What did you see in the security settings of the document?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to Bernd Alheit

If you know it is secured for editing, then you will have to change the security setting to none first. That means you have to have the password. Once you have turned the security off, you can do minor edits to the PDF and then just reset the security.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 11:40 PM   in reply to jmt111

Ask the creator of the document for the password.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 1:49 AM   in reply to jmt111

Yes, Adobe software respects the security settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2013 3:37 AM   in reply to jmt111

These forums do not permit discussions about how to bypass the security features applied by Adobe software.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to jmt111

Security is not added to a PDF document without explicitly doing so.

The creator performed this action, and holds rights to the document (intellectual and copyright).

I would think twice about

1. posting how one circumvented their security

2. attaching my signature to such a document.

my 2 cents

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to jmt111

Whatever the reasons were, they obviously did not want you to edit this file in any way, including signing it (or they would have allowed it).

There are ways around any type of security, of course, but this is not the place to discuss it, as was mentioned earlier.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to jmt111

Adobe does not promote, endorse or discuss any methods whose primary purpose would be to infringe copyright and violate national laws, and all their software is designed to respect explicit copyright protection measures, irrespective of how they were applied. You can export an unsecured PDF file to Word and paste it into your latest novel; that's a problem between you and the owner's lawyers - but if they've added protection we have to assume on the balance of probability that it was done for valid reasons.

It doesn't matter why you want to do this or where your specific document came from. If we told you how to do it, we would be also telling everyone else who finds this site via Google - and most of them will be trying to steal content. That would make Adobe liable for promoting copyright infringement.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

First, I 'm not into cracking files so that I can sign them. But just because you put copyright on a Document doesn't mean its so. I have several Photo editing Programs that actually can put the word copy right on the image. But just because it can but put there each of those pieces would have to registered with copyright office. You can't just say oh that's copywritten. it has to be backed up with some proof. If I were a Pro Photographer with a Business license I would have some copyright document  in the Copyright Office. Then and only then could I leagally put the word copyright on my photo's.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to jmt111

I cannot see how anybody is harmed by allowing a

signature on a document, and surely there can be a nuanced approach to

protecting intellectual property without banning all modifications to a document.

There is, and it was left to the *author* of the document to decide what they want to allow and want they don't want, not to the user. That would be a very silly approach indeed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to jmt111

Yes, they can allow the user to insert an image into a button field but prohibit other actions like copying text.

Edit: A much better option, by the way, is to sign a document digitally, not by adding an image. This too can be allowed by the author.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to jmt111

Now you're getting our point... You should contact those companies and ask them to relax their policies and allow you to sign the documents digitally or via a form field.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points