Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Updating Dreamweaver from cs5.5 to cs6

Feb 12, 2013 7:52 AM

I'm looking to update from DW cs5.5 to DW cs6, and am wondering is this a simple process?  I always worry about doing updates because it seems like they sometimes can be trouble.  How will it affect any sites that I have made in Dw cs5.5?  Are there any know problems after doing the upgrade?  Any info on making this change would be super, thanks in advance...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

Firstly, if you update, you don't have to move all of your sites. And Dreamweaver CS6 will run nicely with Dreamweaver 5.5, so you can have both.

Secondly, Dreamweaver is a code editor. While DW CS6 does have a few new bells and whistles, it does not change the underlying aspect of the code you are using, which is HTML, JavaScript and php (or Cold Fusion and ASP). Dreamweaver provides code hinting for all of these, and helps you build websites. I upgraded from Dreamweaver CS3 to CS 5.5 and use both on my Mac (Snow Leopart) without any issues. My older sites are in CS3. Newer sites are in 5.5.

I still haven't seen any really compelling reason to upgrade to CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to mhollis55

Depending on which version you upgrade to, either the perpetual license (disk copy) or Cloud version (download) it can have some pretty significant affect on your workflow.

The Cloud version has deprecated a lot of features people use. Check this documentation out for details...

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/dreamweaver/using/changes-inser t-options-creative-cloud.html

If you have a lot of personal settings (snippets, library files, etc) you'll need to migrate them over...

http://cookbooks.adobe.com/post_Migrating_Dreamweaver_configuration__s ite_settings-17658.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

I do not think that an installation of a newer version of Dreamweaver will "overwrite" anything.

But with respect to extensions, everything from everyone I have ever used works with almost all versions of Dreamweaver. Adobe has not changed the extension framework. I successfully installed a brand new extension from the folks at Project 7 into Dreamweaver CS3 just two days ago.

So, if you're going to the Adobe Exchange, you can also go to their Classic webpage (it has the same stuff) and log in with your Adobe ID and browse and get whatever you need. You can also do a Google Search for "Adobe Dreamweaver Plugin" and get about 4,290,000 results. I think Adobe may have you fooled into thinking that you must upgrade to get plugins. That is false.

-Mark Hollis

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

CS6 is a separate installation.  You won't lose anything.

Be sure to Export Site Definition settings from your old DW.  Close. 

Open CS6, Site > Manage Sites > Import.

The most difficult part of migrating was getting my custom snippets folder into CS6.  I had to create a custom snippet in DW CS6 first.  Then I was able to move/copy custom snippets from old version to new CS6 folder.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to fourwhitesocks

You are buying an "upgrade license". This upgrade license is cheaper then a full license and is only offered to owners of the previous version of Dreamweaver (or Creative Suite). But the Dreamweaver program itself, whether full license or upgrade license, is, for all intents and purposes, the same, full, product. Installing it will not overwrite your previous versions of the software.

Exporting the site definitions from your old version just saves you time from recreating the site definitions after  installing the new version. So instead of manually creating the site definitions in your new Dreamweaver install, you can import the old site defnitions and *boom*, your sites will show up in Dreamweaver.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

I am having trouble migrating my Dw snippets from CS5.5 to CS6, can someone help me? Problem is I can't find the folder where my Dw5.5 snippets reside. Article http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494812 says they should be here:

Mac OS X: Macintosh HD:<username>:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Dreamweaver CSx:<language>:Configuration. But, I don't see a Library folder under Macintosh HD:Users:<username>..., is it a hidden folder?

And, if I go to Macintosh HD:Library:Application Support:Adobe there is no Dreamweaver5.5 or 6 folder. I do see CS5.5 and CS6 folders, but there is no Snippet folder under either of these.

Thanks in advance for your help, Chris Roberts

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 3:56 PM   in reply to Zugz64

You must create a new snippet in CS6 first.  Then DW creates a custom snippets folder for you.  From there, you can copy your custom snippets from CS5.5 to new CS6 folder.  Don't feel bad, I spent an hour musing over this step when I upgraded.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

I created a snippet in Dw CS6 but don't see a Snippet folder for CS5.5 or CS6. Still need help. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 5:54 PM   in reply to Zugz64

Maybe yours is hidden.  Enable hidden files & folders.

On my system it's in:

C:\ [username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ Dreamweaver CS6 \ [language] \ Configuration \ Snippets \

In Mac OS X (Lion and Mountain Lion), open Finder and press Shift-Cmd-Go. Type ~/Library/Application Support in the dialog box, and click Go. You should then be able to find your Configuration folder.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

I was also not seeing a snippet folder in CS6 in this path:  C:\ [username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ Dreamweaver CS6 \ [language] \ Configuration \ Snippets \

Then I had an idea.... try creating one and see if it shows up then... What do you know?  That worked.  After creating a dummy snippet, I now have a snippets folder in the path above.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points